-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
UniCredit gets ECB nod on Commerzbank stake, but delays merger decision
Italian banking giant UniCredit said Friday it had secured approval from the European Central Bank to up its stake in Commerzbank, but warned there were still hurdles ahead before a possible takeover of its German rival.
The ECB, which supervises the banking system in the European Union's shared currency zone, agreed that the Italian lender could buy up to 29.9 percent of Commerzbank, UniCredit said in a statement.
Yet the bank said it would take longer than initially expected to make a decision on a potential takeover, which both Commerzbank and Berlin oppose, with the timeline "now likely to extend well beyond the end of 2025".
Commerzbank has vowed to fight any takeover, and UniCredit's approach has angered German politicians, including outgoing Chancellor Olaf Scholz and his likely successor, Friedrich Merz, whose conservatives won elections last month.
UniCredit, Italy's second largest bank, said Friday it was "awaiting the opportunity to initiate a constructive dialogue with the new German government once formed".
The saga began in September when UniCredit revealed it had built up a stake in its rival, triggering talk that chief executive Andrea Orcel wanted to push for an ambitious pan-European banking merger.
UniCredit has since boosted its holding in Germany's second-biggest bank to around 28 percent, 18.5 percent of which is held through derivatives, a form of financial contract.
A spokeswoman for the German government said the ECB decision did not change the position of Berlin, which supports Commerzbank's autonomy.
"The government has also repeatedly reiterated its rejection of a haphazard and hostile approach, and considers that hostile takeovers in the banking sector are not appropriate," she said.
- Still many factors -
Commerzbank also said the ECB's green light Friday "does not change the fundamental situation: UniCredit continues to be a shareholder of Commerzbank".
"We are convinced of our strategy, which aims for profitable growth and value increase, and we are focusing on its successful implementation," it said.
Last month, Commerzbank announced it planned to cut about 3,900 jobs -- around 10 percent of its workforce -- and hiked its financial targets, in a bid to boost its share price and bolster its defences against its Italian suitor.
The job cuts, to be implemented by 2028, come after the lender booked a record profit in 2024.
UniCredit on Friday welcomed "some positive change at Commerzbank, which, together with the recent more optimistic view on German macro (economy), has driven a substantial increase in the bank share price".
Commerzbank's shares have almost doubled in price since UniCredit's move in September.
"However, only significant time will reveal if the plan is executable and hence determine whether such price appreciation is justified and sustainable," the Italian bank said.
UniCredit said the ECB authorisation underscored its own "financial strength and regulatory compliance" but said there were "still many factors" that will determine its plans on Commerzbank.
"Several further approvals are still required before the around 18.5 percent shares held through derivatives can be converted into physical shares, including from the Germany Federal Cartel Office," it said.
Orcel said in January he would not rush a takeover, and was willing to walk away, but would wait until the outcome of Germany's elections.
Berlin still holds a 12-percent stake in the lender, the legacy of a government bailout during the 2008 global financial crisis.
Merz, who is in talks to form a coalition government after the February vote, described a possible bid for Commerzbank as "hostile" in an interview with The Economist magazine last month.
However, some EU policymakers have backed the idea of a tie-up, saying it would create a heavyweight better able to compete internationally.
X.AbuJaber--SF-PST