-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
French right-wing media's Russia tilt irks Elysee
French Sunday newspaper readers woke up this past weekend to starkly different visions of their country's relationship with Russia.
"The bidding war of fear," said the headline of Journal du Dimanche (JDD), accusing President Emmanuel Macron of seeking to panic France in an address to the nation last week when he described Russia as a "threat" to all of Europe.
The JDD, a venerable title founded in 1948, has taken an increasingly right-wing stance critical of Macron since coming under the ownership of tycoon Vincent Bollore, joining his other right-wing outlets such as Europe 1 radio, rolling news channel C24 and the C8 channel.
By contrast, its Sunday rival La Tribune Dimanche, a centrist weekly, chose to highlight an interview with Defence Minister Sebastien Lecornu, a close ally of Macron, whose stern face covered the front page. "Those who deny the Russian threat are wrong," he said.
The contrasting front pages highlight a battle being played out in French media after the accession of Donald Trump to the White House emboldened those who argue Paris should now take a more conciliatory line towards Russia after its 2022 invasion of Ukraine.
The JDD also said Macron was seeking to "scare" France and carried an interview with former defence minister Herve Morin, who accused Macron of "excessively worrying the French" over the risk posed by Russia.
In response, the Elysee took the highly unusual step of issuing a denial that Macron had ever sought to "scare" the French, in a statement on the official social media account of the French presidency
"In this serious period... everyone must ensure that the facts are perfectly accurate," it said. "The moment demands clarity, patriotism and a sense of national unity."
- 'Radio KGB' -
Macron's Prime Minister Francois Bayrou has made clear he has no intention to boycott Bollore's hugely influential media stable at a time when the main domestic political challenge comes from the far right.
Last week he gave an interview to Europe 1, fielding questions from its prominent presenter Laurence Ferrari.
But after Ferrari accused French officials of "wanting to go to war against Russia", a prominent Elysee advisor, asking not to be named, denounced the channel as "radio KGB".
The Le Monde daily accused Bollore's titles of "overtly defending Russia", pointing to Pascal Praud, the star anchor on CNews, who on March 3 stated: "Russia has won the war and we, the Europeans, lost it, along with Ukraine."
"We don't have a portrait of Vladimir Putin in the editorial office. No one openly defends Putin," JDD journalist Jules Torres told Europe 1 on Sunday.
Praud accused Le Monde on Monday of "turning its back on the truth of the facts" and "adopting an editorial line of the extreme left".
"The success of CNews is based on going against the grain," he added.
The influence also extends to publishing books through Bollore's ownership of renowned publisher Fayard, part of the Louis Hachette Group it owns.
This month, the house published the book "Bannie" ("Banned") by Xenia Fedorova, the former director of the French version of Russian state-run foreign language channel RT, which was banned in France after the invasion.
In the book, she portrays herself as a victim of state censorship and, according to the publisher, describes "the manoeuvres that led to the eradication of a dissident voice from the news".
- 'Ideological and editorial' -
France's broadcast regulator Arcom forced Bollore's C8 channel off the air last month citing a string of violations, sparking an outcry among right-wing politicians.
But in his interview with La Tribune, Lecornu warned that "Russians are reinventing war" to operations away from the battlefield such as media and democracy, saying France's 2027 presidential elections "could be the subject of massive manipulations".
Maxime Audinet, a researcher at the Institute for Strategic Research of the Military School (IRSEM), said Bollore's media outlets were among "the only ones who agreed to recruit former RT France employees".
The author of a book on RT France that earned him a defamation suit, Audinet told AFP there was a "collusion that is both ideological and editorial" between these media.
They have "eurosceptic, conservative, reactionary positions on the ideological level" and "an alternative anti-establishment media posture" on the editorial level, he said.
Another critic of the Bollore empire, media historian Alexis Levrier, said the heightened rhetoric at JDD might have caused an outbreak of "awareness" at the Elysee.
"But how naive! This comes after years of ambiguity and mutual seduction," he said.
fff-are-pr-reb-sjw/as/js
L.Hussein--SF-PST