-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
France PM vows to help probe boarding school paedophilia allegations
France's prime minister Saturday vowed to help investigate allegations of decades of sexual abuse at a Catholic school, after the left accused him of lying to parliament earlier this week when he said he was unaware of the case.
Francois Bayrou, a veteran centrist named premier in December to end months of political crisis, does not have a parliamentary majority.
He has come under scrutiny in recent days in relation to allegations of repeated physical and sexual abuse at a Catholic boarding school in the Pyrenees to which he sent several of his children, including while he was education minister and a regional official.
In 1996, the parents of a pupil at the school, near the southwestern city of Pau, filed a complaint after a school monitor slapped the boy so hard he lost his hearing in one ear.
The supervisor at the Notre-Dame de Betharram school was found guilty.
This happened during Bayrou's tenure as education minister, between 1993 to 1997.
Then in May 1998, when Bayrou was no longer minister but still led the council for the region that includes the school, a priest and former headmaster there was detained accused of having raped a 10-year-old boy a decade earlier.
He was released then found dead two years later in the river Tiber in Rome.
Most recently, testimonies gathered by a former student led to prosecutors last year opening a probe into more than 100 allegations of violence, sexual assault and rape committed at the school between the 1970s and the 1990s.
The ex-pupil, Alain Esquerre, told the France 3 broadcaster in November that he had since received complaints of alleged abuse up until 2016.
- 'Children aged eight to 13' -
Last week French investigative website Mediapart reported that Bayrou -- who has been mayor of Pau since 2014 and remains in the position -- had knowledge of the abuse in the 1990s.
Witnesses questioned by AFP last week also claimed that Bayrou must have been aware of the allegations.
But on Tuesday, Bayrou told parliament he was "never at that time told about" such complaints, sparking accusations from the left that he was lying.
On Saturday, he met Esquerre and other alleged victims at the Pau city hall, as a dozen protesters called for his resignation outside.
"I did everything I could when I was minister," Bayrou told the press after the three-hour meeting. And "I did everything I thought I should do when I no longer was."
After hearing about the 1996 complaint, he had arranged for the school to be inspected, he added.
The prime minister said he would ask for "extra magistrates" to fully investigate the accusations.
He also wanted to look into how to help former pupils who had made accusations that fell outside the statute of limitations, he added.
He said a civil servant, who had previously led an inquiry into abuse in the Catholic Church, would be meeting the former pupils.
That inquiry in 2021 found that French Catholic priests, deacons and other clergy had sexually abused around 216,000 children, mostly pre-adolescent boys, from 1950 to 2020.
Esquerre was visibly moved.
"I am 53 years old and I have been waiting for this moment for 40 years, so it's a huge victory," he said.
"The Betharram scandal, I remind you, is about physical assaults, cruelty of all kinds, humiliation, molestation and rapes against children aged eight to 13 years old, carried out by 26 adults -- priests, including headmasters, and secular school monitors," he added.
V.Said--SF-PST