-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
Leaky, crowded and hot: Louvre boss slams her own museum
The head of the Louvre in Paris has warned the government about leaks, overcrowding and sub-standard catering in a confidential note that has raised alarm about the state of the world's most-visited museum.
Laurence des Cars, the first woman head of the French landmark, wrote a memo about her concerns to Culture Minister Rachida Dati earlier this month which was published on Thursday in Le Parisien newspaper.
She warned about the "proliferation of damage in museum spaces, some of which are in very poor condition."
Furthermore, some areas "are no longer watertight, while others experience significant temperature variations, endangering the preservation of artworks," she added.
Despite the French government's budget problems and the imminent closure of the Pompidou museum for renovations, des Cars said the Louvre required an overhaul that would likely be costly and technically complicated.
A total of 8.7 million people visited its famed galleries last year -- around twice the number it was designed for -- and des Cars expressed concern about the quality of the user experience.
The Louvre's popularity was causing a "physical strain" on the historic building, while visitors lack spaces "to take a break," she wrote.
"The food options and restroom facilities are insufficient in volume, falling well below international standards. The signage needs a complete redesign," the memo continued.
Even the museum's most modern addition -- a glass pyramid designed by Chinese-American architect Ieoh Ming Pei and inaugurated in 1989 -- comes in for severe criticism because of its "major shortcomings."
It was used by President Emmanuel Macron for a state dinner ahead of the opening of the Paris Olympics last July, but des Cars said it acted like a greenhouse on hot days and became "very inhospitable" as well as being noisy.
- 'Saturation' -
Like other major European cities, Paris has seen international tourism rebound strongly after the Covid pandemic of 2020-2021.
Around 70 percent of visitors to the Louvre last year were foreigners.
Tourists have long complained about the queues to view the Mona Lisa, which is the most popular attraction in the museum and displayed in its largest room.
The memo stressed the need to "reassess" how Leonardo da Vinci's masterpiece is presented to the public, with des Cars saying last year that it needed its own dedicated room.
Since taking over as boss of the institution in 2021, des Cars has spoken out publically about the museum reaching "saturation point."
One of her first major measures was to impose a cap on visitors of 30,000 per day and extend opening hours.
She has also backed an idea to create a second entrance other than the pyramid to "irrigate" the rest of the museum.
The modern art Pompidou museum, originally opened in 1977, is closing for a 262-million-euro ($272 million), five-year refit from September 2025.
Z.Ramadan--SF-PST