-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
German VW workers kick off second round of strikes
Thousands of Volkswagen workers walked out on Monday in the second round of strikes in the escalating conflict between unions and management over the German carmaker's drastic savings plans.
The four-hour work stoppage was called at nine Volkswagen factories across the country.
The action is twice the length of the first "warning strike" organised by union IG Metall last week, which saw some 100,000 workers down tools.
The walkout was timed to coincide with the latest round of negotiations between unions and management over VW's savings plan.
The two sides have been locked in bitter talks since Volkswagen said in September it was considering closing factories in Germany for the first time in its history.
The situation at the group's eponymous Volkswagen brand is "serious" according to executives, with drastic action needed to put the company on a sustainable footing.
The auto manufacturer has struggled with the switch to electric vehicles as it battles high costs at home and rising competition from Chinese carmakers.
According to unions, management has laid out plans to close at least three plants in Germany, where the Volkswagen brand employs some 120,000 people.
Worker representatives have vehemently opposed the plan to close sites in Germany and threatened the group with massive industrial action.
Unions presented a cost-cutting plan to management, which they said would save the car maker 1.5 billion euros ($1.6 billion).
But management has rejected the proposals, saying they did not add up to a "sustainable solution".
"We need to find further potential (for savings)... this is the only way we can finance our investments," Volkswagen negotiator Arne Meiswinkel said Monday.
Volkswagen's "insistence on maximalist positions" had "destroyed trust" among workers, IG Metall negotiator Thorsten Groeger said ahead of talks.
He added that if VW showed a willingness to compromise, it would be "possible that we can find solutions before Christmas" in just over two weeks.
Pushback against Volkswagen's plans has also come from Germany's political leadership.
"Closing factories would not be the right way," Chancellor Olaf Scholz told the Funke media group over the weekend.
"Precisely because the bad decisions of management have contributed to the situation, that would not be ok," said the Social Democrat, who is battling to save his job in elections slated for February.
Z.AbuSaud--SF-PST