-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
Brazil minister says supports meat supplier 'boycott' of Carrefour
Brazil's agriculture minister on Monday threw his support behind national meat suppliers that have halted deliveries to Carrefour supermarkets in a growing row related to Mercosur trade negotiations.
Carlos Favaro told the GloboNews broadcaster he was "happy with the attitude of our suppliers," which since last week have been snubbing retailers in Brazil operated by the French supermarket group.
The supply disruption was triggered after Carrefour's CEO Alexandre Bompard last week told French unions his supermarket chain would "not sell any meat coming from Mercosur" in its French outlets.
The row is linked to France's opposition to finalizing a European Union trade deal with Mercosur amid protests from French farmers who fear the pact would open the door to unfair competition.
The Mercosur bloc includes Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.
Favaro said: "If for the French, Carrefour doesn't want to buy Brazilian meat, then Carrefour won't be buying Brazilian meat to put on its shelves here in Brazil either."
Carrefour Brazil confirmed in a statement it was being affected by the suppliers' decision.
A source at major meat supplier JBS told AFP on condition of anonymity that, since last Friday, "the company took the decision to suspend beef supplies" to Carrefour-run outlets in Brazil.
Supplies "are completely suspended and will continue to be suspended" until the French boss of Carrefour goes back on his position, the source said.
The Carrefour CEO's announcement sparked indignation in Brazil, with the government and the powerful meat industry accusing France of trade "protectionism" and smearing the quality of the country's meat exports.
Brazilian media are calling the disrupted meat deliveries to Carrefour supermarkets a "boycott" and many Brazilians online have applauded it.
- Carrefour seeking 'solutions' -
Carrefour Brazil said in a statement on Monday: "Unfortunately, the decision to suspend the supply of meat impacts our customers."
While a spokesman for the company stressed that "there is no lack of meat in the shops," the latest Carrefour statement said it was seeking "solutions that will enable us to resume the supply of meat to our stores."
Carrefour Brazil noted that it served "millions of customers" in the country, and had a workforce of more than 130,000 employees.
The developments in Brazil come as French farmers continue protests to press Paris to block the Mercosur deal.
Next week, the Mercosur countries are to hold a summit in Uruguay, with discussions to include progress on the trade accord with the European Union, which has been negotiated since 1999.
French President Emmanuel Macron reiterated his strong opposition to the deal when he attended a G20 summit in Brazil last week.
The European Commission, however, is intent on swiftly concluding the accord, whose contours were agreed in 2019. Germany and Spain, too, have expressed impatience to see the deal done.
W.AbuLaban--SF-PST