-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
Gabon early results show voters back new constitution
Gabon's military rulers announced their new constitution had been overwhelmingly approved in a referendum, according to provisional results it published Sunday, marking a new chapter for the oil-rich African nation.
The estimated 860,000 registered voters faced an onslaught of calls by authorities on TV, radio and social media to make their ballot count -- whether they choose a green one meaning "yes" or a red one for "no".
The new constitution sets out a vision of a presidency with a maximum of two seven-year terms, no prime minister, and no dynastic transfer of power.
Provisional results showed 91.8 percent of voters had backed the new constitution, the Committee for the Transition and Restoration of Institutions (CTRI) said in a statement.
With the campaign dominated by official propaganda by the junta that took power in August last year in a coup, local media had said voter turnout would be a key factor.
The interior ministry said 53.54 percent of voters turned out to cast their ballot, lower than the 71 percent reported earlier by broadcaster Gabon TV.
There were no serious incidents reported during voting across 2,835 polling stations nationwide, which stayed open until 6:00 pm.
The junta on Saturday extended a night curfew by two hours to midnight "during the whole electoral process", according to a decree read on state television.
- Constitutional proposals -
The new constitution also requires presidential candidates to be exclusively Gabonese -- with at least one Gabon-born parent -- and have a Gabonese spouse.
This would eliminate toppled ruler Ali Bongo Ondimba, who is married to a French woman, and his children.
His replacement, transitional president Brice Oligui Nguema, declared the referendum a "great step forward" as he cast his vote at a Libreville school.
"All Gabonese are coming to vote in a transparent fashion," the junta chief told the press, having ditched his general's uniform for a brown civilian jacket over jeans.
Oligui has vowed to hand power back to civilians after a two-year transition but has made no secret of his desire to win the presidential election scheduled for August 2025.
Billboards adorned with an image of the general and urging a "yes" vote are everywhere, the Union newspaper commented on Friday, prompting it to ask: "Referendum or presidential campaign?"
- 'Creating a dictator' -
Queues of voters formed in front of the classrooms housing the polling stations at the Lycee Leon M'Ba in Libreville, under the watchful eye of the soldiers charged with ensuring the ballot's security.
Nathalie Badzoko, a 33-year-old civil servant, said she was voting "yes" and had faith in the junta but admitted she had "not read the whole text" and its 173 articles.
Opponents of the proposed text dismiss it as tailor-made for the strongman to remain in power.
"We are creating a dictator who designs the constitution for himself," lawyer Marlene Fabienne Essola Efountame said.
Bongo ruled for 14 years until he was overthrown moments after being proclaimed the winner in a presidential election the military and opposition declared fraudulent.
He took office on the death of his father Omar, who had ruled for more than 41 years.
The opposition and the military coup leaders accused Ali Bongo's regime of widespread corruption and poor governance.
- Concerns about jobs -
The interior ministry said it had done all it could to ensure Saturday's referendum was transparent, including inviting international observers -- who were not present in the August 2023 presidential election.
"We trust them and this is a test," said Mathurin Bengone, a 45-year-old health ministry civil servant.
"If our vote isn't respected, we won't vote again."
The final tally will be announced by the constitutional court.
Nearly 87 percent of those surveyed said they thought the country is "heading in the right direction", according to an Afrobarometer survey among 1,200 respondents published mid-October.
Unemployment topped the list of concerns, followed by health, roads, insecurity and a rise in the cost of living, the survey also suggested.
And, more than 46 percent have "great confidence" in Oligui, who would be the favourite if a presidential election were to be held now.
A.AlHaj--SF-PST