-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
New York to revive driver congestion charge plan, drawing Trump ire
New York said Thursday it will revive a controversial scheme to charge drivers entering parts of the city, a first in the United States, putting local authorities on a collision course with President-elect Donald Trump.
"Under this plan, the (transport authority) will implement a congestion pricing plan with a reduced daytime toll of $9 beginning in January," said New York governor Kathy Hochul, announcing the revival of the plan that she put on pause in June, reduced from the originally planned $15 base level.
Republican lawmakers have called on Trump to intervene in the case to terminate the revived plan, with the former president previously vowing to kill the scheme if elected.
Trump told the conservative New York Post tabloid that "I strongly disagree with the decision", insisting "it will put New York City at a disadvantage over competing cities and states, and businesses will flee."
The scheme, which had initially been due to come into force on June 30 at the $15 level, faced legal challenges, highlighting the difficulty of levying drivers in a country where the car is king.
The goal of the plan is to fund the New York subway and reduce congestion, and Hochul said it being revived after an assessment was done of how it would work with a lower fee.
- 'Unintended consequences' -
Hochul suspended the plan in June, saying there were "too many unintended consequences for New Yorkers."
"This $9 daytime toll is enough to secure the $15 billion in (transport authority) funding the congestion pricing was intended to support," Hochul said.
The scheme will charge drivers for venturing below 60th Street in Manhattan, an area that encompasses the business districts of Midtown and Wall Street.
Some 700,000 vehicles enter the area every day, with cars traveling just seven miles per hour on average due to gridlock, officials say.
"I believe that everything in New York is extremely expensive at this point, and adding another fee is just digging into our pockets," said motorist Denis Cruz, 56, who drives into Manhattan daily.
The New York Taxi Workers Alliance, a union representing 21,000 cab drivers, previously estimated the levy would have seen drivers lose $8,000 a year in income, based on the previous toll level of $15.
There were to be numerous exemptions as well as a low income discount plan and discounts for drivers entering the tolling zone more than 10 times in a month.
The governor of neighboring New Jersey, Phil Murphy, which shares several road crossings with Manhattan, said he was "firmly opposed to any attempt to force through a congestion pricing proposal in the final months of the Biden Administration."
Areas neighboring New York city have argued that a charge would hurt their businesses and impair their residents' ability to commute into Manhattan.
"All of us need to listen to the message that voters across America sent last Tuesday, which is that the vast majority of Americans are experiencing severe economic strains and still feeling the effects of inflation," he said in a statement referring to the election win that will put Trump back in power next year.
L.Hussein--SF-PST