-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
Hong Kong's New World Development replaces CEO Adrian Cheng
Hong Kong property behemoth New World Development announced Thursday that its chief executive officer Adrian Cheng has been replaced, as the firm reported an annual loss of over US$2.5 billion.
Share trading in property giant New World Development had already been suspended in Hong Kong earlier Thursday ahead of the announcement, as well as trading in the retail unit New World Department Store China.
"Dr. Cheng Chi-Kong, Adrian has tendered his resignation as the chief executive officer of the Company to devote more time on public services and other personal commitments," the company said in a filing to Hong Kong stock exchange published around 4:45 pm (0845 GMT).
It added that he would be replaced with immediate effect by its chief operating officer Ma Siu-cheung, a former Hong Kong development minister also known as Eric Ma.
"(Ma) will no longer serve as the chief operating officer of the Company," it said.
The firm also announced losses attributable to shareholders totalling HK$19.68 billion (US$2.5 billion), which will will mark New World's first annual loss in two decades.
The company last announced a loss in 2004, totalling HK$975 million.
Cheng, 44, is a grandson of late billionaire Cheng Yu-tung and was long considered the heir apparent in the sprawling business empire run by Hong Kong's third-richest family.
The clan is valued at US$22.1 billion by Forbes magazine.
Cheng joined the board of New World Development in 2007 as its executive director and was appointed its CEO in 2020, when the company's revenues slumped by nearly a quarter mid-year to mid-year.
The business empire -- overseen by patriarch Henry Cheng -- spans property, jewellery, department stores and logistics.
The property arm is the largest unit, controlling HK$470.2 billion in assets by the end of 2023.
New World's shares have fallen by about a third since the turn of the year as Hong Kong suffers the longest property market downturn since the SARS pandemic in 2003.
The city has lost at least HK$2.1 trillion since 2019, according to a Bloomberg Intelligence analysis in June.
B.Mahmoud--SF-PST