-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
Intel says it will slash workforce to cut costs
US chip maker Intel said Thursday it will slash more than 15 percent of its workforce as it streamlines operations.
The plan to cut approximately $20 billion in expenses this year came as Intel reported a loss of $1.6 billion in the recently ended quarter.
"Our Q2 financial performance was disappointing, even as we hit key product and process technology milestones," Intel chief executive Pat Gelsinger said in an earnings release.
"Second-half trends are more challenging than we previously expected."
Second quarter earnings were negatively affected by "headwinds" to the ramp-up of Intel's artificial intelligence PC product and unused capacity at its facilities, according to chief financial officer David Zinsner.
"By implementing our spending reductions, we are taking proactive steps to improve our profits and strengthen our balance sheet," Zinsner said.
Intel reported having 124,800 employees at the end of last year, meaning the layoffs could hit about 18,000 positions.
In June, Intel announced it was halting the expansion of a major factory project in Israel, which was going to pump an extra $15 billion towards a chip plant.
Intel said at the time that "managing large-scale projects, especially in our industry, often involves adapting to changing timelines."
"Decisions are based on business conditions, market dynamics and responsible capital management," the US-based company added.
The belt-tightening came just a month after Intel struck a defiant tone in the face of strong challenges from rivals Nvidia, AMD and Qualcomm, unveiling technologies it said would lead the artificial intelligence revolution.
For decades, Intel has dominated the market for the chips that run everything from laptops to data centres. But in recent years, its competitors -- especially Nvidia -- have soared ahead on specialized AI processors.
During a keynote speech at Taiwan's Computex expo, Gelsinger introduced Intel's latest Xeon 6 processors for servers, and shared more details about its next-gen Lunar Lake chips for AI PCs.
"AI is driving one of the most consequential eras of innovation the industry has ever seen," Gelsinger said.
"The magic of silicon is once again enabling exponential advancements in computing that will push the boundaries of human potential and power the global economy for years to come."
Gelsinger said Intel's latest equipment provides the best available mix of performance, energy efficiency and affordability.
His presentation followed earlier keynote speeches by Nvidia boss Jensen Huang, AMD CEO Lisa Su and Qualcomm's Cristiano Amon -- and they were replete with claims and counterclaims about which firm's products were the best for AI.
Microsoft in June unveiled its Copilot+ AI PCs, which will have artificial intelligence features built into its Windows operating system.
Along with Microsoft, the features will be added by some of the world's biggest computer manufacturers, including Dell, HP, Samsung and Lenovo, offering AI capabilities on the device itself, not just through the internet.
AI computers are expected to be 80 percent of the PC market by 2028, Intel said, citing the Boston Consulting Group.
T.Samara--SF-PST