-
Seville, Jefferson-Wooden roar to 100m wins at Silesia Diamond League
-
Brennan sprints to Vuelta stage two victory, Pogacar keeps red
-
VW chief warns carmaker's situation 'more than critical'
-
Duplantis conquers pole vault at Silesia Diamond League
-
England cricketer Carse under investigation after 'nightclub incident'
-
France's badminton gold winners set for obscurity back home
-
McLaren's Norris wins Dutch GP after Verstappen crash
-
Brighton start Premier League season with rout of 10-man Villa
-
Giroud scores as Lille give Davide Ancelotti winning start
-
Maresca makes winning start with Man City after dramatic fightback
-
Kejelcha smashes half-marathon world record in Buenos Aires
-
Mo'unga returns for All Blacks against Johannesburg Lions
-
Trump admin predicts US trade war 'devastating' for Canada
-
Belgian sprinter Philipsen wins Renewi Tour
-
Trump set for starring role at Washington's debut IndyCar race
-
'A day for French badminton' as Lanier triumph gives them golden double at world champs
-
Kane voted player of the year in Germany
-
Kane voted German footballer of the year
-
Padikkal hundred helps India to 300-5 against Sri Lanka
-
'New season, new trim': Man City star Haaland chops off flowing locks
-
Man City agree deal for Lille star Bouaddi
-
Lanier clinches badminton world title in France's golden double
-
Humanoids break records at Beijing Robot Games
-
After Wildberries, Ukraine launches drone campaign on Russia's Ozon
-
Zelensky rejects rival's call for vote, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Padikkal, Gill half-centuries take India to 187-3 at tea
-
Zelensky rejects wartime elections, says would 'split' Ukraine
-
Cummins hails 'sharp' Australia as they get back to winning ways
-
'Keep up the spirit': Indonesian teenage 'Superman' joins wildfire fight
-
Bangladesh eye more Australia Tests to hit next level
-
Starc bags 10 as Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Thousands expected at Sweden climate demo as election looms
-
Starc heroics see Australia thrash Bangladesh in second Test
-
Starc heroics put Australia on brink of victory over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
Two children dead, six critically injured in UK knife attack
Two children have been killed and nine more injured, six critically, in a knife attack at a dance class in northern England on Monday, police said.
A 17-year-old male has been arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder over the attack in Southport, near Liverpool in northwest England, which also left two adults with critical injuries, Merseyside Police said in a news conference.
Police chief Serena Kennedy said counter-terror police had offered their support, but that the attack was not being treated as terror-related, and that the motivation was unclear.
All of those injured had been stabbed, she added.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer told the media that "the events today are just truly awful, the whole country is deeply shocked.
"Our thoughts and condolences are with the victims, families, friends and wider community. It is almost impossible to imagine the grief," he added.
- 'Can't imagine the pain' -
Police were called to a property that was hosting a Taylor Swift-themed dance class for young children shortly before midday (1100 GMT), said Kennedy.
Officers were "shocked to find that multiple people, many of whom were children, had been subjected to a ferocious attack", she said.
The suspect apparently walked in from the street and started to attack the children, while adults in the room tried to protect them, added Kennedy.
Armed officers detained the suspect and seized a knife.
"As a mum and nana, I can't begin to imagine the pain and suffering that the families of the victims are going through," said Kennedy.
The North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) said it treated 11 casualties with stab injuries at the scene, who were then taken by ambulance and helicopter to Alder Hey Children's Hospital, and other hospitals in the local area.
Alder Hey Children's Hospital said: "We can confirm that the trust has declared a major incident."
Local business owner Colin Parry, one of the people who called police, told the Press Association news agency that he believed several "young girls" had been stabbed.
Bare Varathan, who owns a local shop, told PA he saw "seven to 10 kids" who were "injured, bleeding", adding that he saw they had been stabbed.
The suspect is in custody and "enquiries are ongoing to establish the motive for this tragic incident", police said.
The area where the incident took place is in a quiet neighbourhood of residential streets.
Some residents who were allowed to come out from the police cordon sealing it off looked shocked, according to an AFP reporter at the scene.
One man who lives in an adjoining street, who did not wish to give his name, told AFP: "It's not what you expect to see in Southport."
Q.Bulbul--SF-PST