-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Israel pressed on two-state solution, pounds south Gaza
Palestinians sheltered from intense fighting in southern Gaza where communications were cut again on Monday, as pressure mounted on Israel for a solution involving long-sought Palestinian statehood.
Mahdi Antar, 21, sought refuge at Al-Nasser hospital in Khan Yunis, Gaza's main southern city which has become the epicentre of the war between Hamas militants and Israeli soldiers now in its fourth month.
"The situation is terrifying. Tonight and today are very difficult, bombing and shooting. I do not know what to do," he said.
The health ministry in the Hamas-run Gaza Strip reported on Monday that more than 120 people had been killed in the previous 24 hours.
Victims of the latest Israeli strikes were brought to Al-Nasser hospital and mourners buried corpses in a mass grave, AFP journalists saw.
The war broke out with Hamas's unprecedented October 7 attacks that resulted in the deaths of about 1,140 people in Israel, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official Israeli figures.
In response, Israel has carried out a relentless offensive that has killed at least 25,295 people in Gaza, around 70 percent of them women, children and adolescents, according to Gaza's health ministry.
Israel announced the deaths of three soldiers, raising the toll to 198 since ground operations in Gaza started in late October.
The Hamas attack also saw about 250 hostages seized, and Israel says around 132 remain in Gaza.
This includes the bodies of at least 28 dead hostages, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli data.
Relatives of the captives and campaigners for their release, who have held regular rallies demanding action from the Israeli government to free them, on Monday stormed a parliamentary committee meeting.
"You sit here while our children are dying over there," yelled Gilad Korngold, father of hostage Tal Shoham, an AFP correspondent reported.
Telecoms operator Paltel said that services in Gaza were cut off on Monday "due to the ongoing and escalating aggression", the 10th time since the war began.
- 'Other solutions?' -
The fresh strikes on southern Gaza came as European foreign ministers held meetings in Brussels with top diplomats from the warring sides and key Arab states.
EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell told Israel "peace and stability cannot be built only by military means".
"Which are the other solutions they have in mind? To make all the Palestinians leave? To kill them off?"
Alleviating the humanitarian crisis must be the priority as more hardship for Gazans will not defeat Hamas or increase Israel's security, Borrell added.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has drawn condemnation from the United Nations and defied the United States -- which provides Israel with billions of dollars in military aid -- by rejecting calls for a Palestinian state.
The Palestinian Authority's top diplomat, Riyad al-Maliki, demanded the European Union call for an immediate ceasefire and urged it to consider sanctions against Netanyahu for "destroying the chances for a two-state solution".
Israel's top diplomat Israel Katz ignored questions from journalists over a future two-state solution and said his government was focused on returning the hostages and ensuring its own security.
The war has spurred fears of a wider escalation, with a surge in violence involving Iran-backed Hamas allies across the region.
At least 202 people have been killed in south Lebanon since early October, according to an AFP tally, as Israeli forces and Hezbollah militants traded near-daily fire. On the Israeli side, 15 people have been killed.
Yemen's Huthi rebels announced they had fired missiles at a US military ship in the Gulf of Aden near the Red Sea, but a US defence official said no attack had taken place.
- 'Heading to the unknown' -
UN agencies and aid groups have sounded the alarm about the growing threat of disease and famine claiming more lives in Gaza than fighting.
The territory's health system is sagging under the weight of the hostilities and an Israeli siege that has triggered dire shortages of food, water, fuel and medicine.
The Palestinian Red Crescent Society on Monday called on the international community to protect its staff and facilities, particularly its headquarters and Al-Amal hospital in Khan Yunis.
The Israeli army said 12,000 trucks carrying 1,052 tons of medical aid have entered Gaza since the war began.
French Defence Minister Sebastien Lecornu, on a visit to Israel, told AFP he hoped medicines delivered to Gaza last week under a deal mediated by France and Qatar would reach "every hostage".
The UN agency for Palestinian refugees estimates the war has displaced 1.7 million Gazans.
Abu Iyad, his belongings piled on a donkey-drawn cart, told AFP he was on the move for the seventh time.
He was fleeing Khan Yunis for Rafah near the Egyptian border, where hundreds of thousands of displaced Palestinians have settled, many living in makeshift tents.
"I'm heading to the unknown," he said.
"They told us to go to Rafah, where to go in Rafah? Is there any space left?"
T.Khatib--SF-PST