-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to book Cincy final against Gauff
-
Austrian mountain town finds niche in AI boom
-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
Senior Yemen official says ground operation needed against Huthis
The deputy leader of Yemen's presidential council said Thursday that its military forces need foreign assistance to launch a ground operation that would back US and UK air strikes against Huthi rebels.
Aidarus al-Zubaidi, vice president of the Presidential Leadership Council based in the southern city of Aden, told AFP the aerial barrage alone was not enough to deter Huthi attacks on merchant ships in the Red Sea.
"An international and regional alliance is necessary to secure international navigation in the Red Sea," Zubaidi said in an interview at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
Zubaidi heads the secessionist Southern Transitional Council, which wants to split the country back in two, reversing its 1990 unification.
He said a Saudi-led military intervention launched in support of the government in 2015, which has also involved air strikes, had been "insufficient" to deter the Huthis.
"Ground forces must be supported on the ground, and these forces belong to the legitimate government," he said.
"These forces are the ones who can achieve a victory on the ground, because strong strikes without ground operations are useless."
Zubaidi's colleagues in the Presidential Leadership Council, which unites various anti-Huthi groups, could not immediately be reached for comment.
Last month, Yemen's warring parties committed to a ceasefire and agreed to engage in a United Nations-led peace process to end the war, according to the UN envoy for Yemen.
Zubaidi said foreign military aid should centre around intelligence sharing, capacity building, training and equipment.
"This approach enables local credible and effective forces to join up the effort with the Western targeted air strikes," Zubaidi said.
"This is a discussion we are having with the US and UK. The lack of a joined-up approach would only repeat the mistakes of past efforts," he added.
The United States and Britain have intercepted missiles and drones fired by the Huthis and targeted launch sites in rebel-held areas in response to attacks that have disrupted global maritime shipping.
Around 12 percent of global trade normally passes through the Bab al-Mandeb Strait, the Red Sea's entrance between Yemen and the Horn of Africa.
The Iran-backed Huthis say they are acting in solidarity with Gaza in the conflict between Palestinian militant group Hamas and Israel.
- 'Terrorist' designation -
The United States said Wednesday it would re-designate the Huthi rebels as a "terrorist" organisation due to their repeated attacks on Red Sea shipping.
The US military also launched a new strike on Huthi targets, hitting 14 missiles that were ready to launch from rebel-controlled areas.
The Huthis struck a US-owned bulk cargo carrier following the designation announcement and vowed to continue their attacks.
Zubaidi said the designation was "natural" given the Huthi attacks on ships.
"They are a terrorist organisation that carried out actions outside of UN and international norms," he said.
S.AbuJamous--SF-PST