-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
Hamas says 200 killed in 24 hours of Israeli strikes on Gaza
Gaza officials said Saturday that more than 200 people had been killed in Israeli strikes in 24 hours, as violence rages on after a UN resolution demanded more aid into the besieged territory.
Israel pressed on with its offensive focusing on the southern Gaza Strip, with clouds of grey and black smoke rising over Khan Yunis city. AFPTV images also showed black smoke drifting over the north.
The health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza reported 201 deaths in the past 24 hours across the territory, updating the death toll since the start of the war to 20,258, most of them women and children.
Fighting began on October 7 when Hamas militants broke through Gaza's border and killed about 1,140 people in Israel, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on Israeli figures.
Israel in response vowed to destroy Hamas and launched a relentless bombardment and ground invasion of Gaza.
Saturday's strikes came after the Security Council approved a resolution demanding "immediate, safe and unhindered" deliveries of life-saving aid to Gaza "at scale".
It also called for the creation of "conditions for a sustainable cessation of hostilities", but did not seek an immediate end to combat.
Members had wrangled for days over the wording, and it is still unclear what if any impact the vote will have on the ground.
At Washington's insistence, they toned down some provisions and avoided calling for a ceasefire that would stop the war.
The Gaza health ministry said dozens of Palestinians were killed this week and publicly "executed" in northern Gaza.
The Israeli "massacre resulted in the death of dozens" of people in Jabalia camp and Jabalia town, ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said.
When contacted by AFP, the Israeli army did not directly comment on the allegations but said it ensures that its "strikes against military targets comply with the provisions of international law".
- Hamas 'lost contact' with hostage guards -
With 1.9 million Gazans displaced, according to UN figures, out of a population of 2.4 million, many have been forced into crowded shelters or tents, struggling to find food, fuel, water and medical care.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said a "humanitarian ceasefire" is the only way for aid "to be effectively delivered".
The issue is not the number of aid trucks, he said, but "the way Israel is conducting this offensive is creating massive obstacles" to aid distribution.
Immediately after the UN vote, Israel again vowed to fight on until Hamas is "eliminated" and hostages are freed.
"Israel will continue the war in Gaza," said Foreign Minister Eli Cohen, insisting it was legal and just.
A strike which the Palestinian health ministry said killed four members of the same family including a girl in Rafah, in southern Gaza, on Friday targeted a Hamas arms procurement official, Israel's army said.
It said Hassan al-Atrash was responsible for weapons purchase and manufacturing for the group's armed wing, Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, and helped smuggle arms into Gaza.
Abu Obeida, a spokesman for the Hamas armed wing, said the group had "lost contact" with militants tasked with guarding five Israeli hostages, out of about 250 captives including foreigners seized from Israel on October 7.
The five hostages include three elderly men who appeared in a video from captivity, released by Hamas earlier this week.
"We believe that those hostages have been killed" in Israeli strikes, Abu Obeida said without providing evidence. There was no immediate comment from Israel.
Israeli authorities say 129 hostages remain in Gaza.
- Displaced again -
The Palestinian health ministry said on Saturday 18 people were killed in a strike on a house at the central Nuseirat refugee camp, and reported others up and down the Gaza Strip.
At Nasser Hospital in Khan Yunis, men gently led a weeping woman who had seen the bodies of relatives. A man crouched down in tears, his hand resting on a black body bag. Outside, others prayed before another corpse.
"This is a genocide," said Rafat al-Aydi, standing before the bodies which lay under a bush of bright red flowers.
Allies, including the United States which provides Israel with billions of dollars in military aid, have increasingly pressured Israel to avoid civilian casualties.
A one-week truce that Qatar helped mediate, with support from Egypt and Washington, ended on December 1. It saw 80 Israeli hostages released from Gaza captivity in exchange for 240 Palestinian prisoners.
Israel has repeatedly told Palestinians to make their way to areas in the tiny territory it says are safe, but even when they do residents say they still have been bombarded.
World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said most of the displaced were now going "entire days and nights without eating", and "famine is looming".
On Friday thousands fled central Gaza after an army evacuation order.
It warned residents of Bureij refugee camp to move "for their own security" towards Deir al-Balah city further south.
The UN agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, said the latest evacuation order would affect more than 150,000 people.
"The Israeli army just orders people to move into areas where there are ongoing air strikes," Thomas White, UNRWA's Gaza director, wrote on social media.
- Drone strike off India -
Far from Gaza, a new attack on shipping Saturday added to fears of a regional escalation.
Maritime agencies said a drone strike damaged a merchant ship in waters off Veraval, India. There was no claim of responsibility.
Missiles from Yemen's Iran-backed Huthi rebels, who say they act in solidarity with Gaza, have already disrupted Red Sea shipping.
US National Security Council spokeswoman Adrienne Watson said Iran "was deeply involved in planning the operations against commercial vessels in the Red Sea".
But Iranian deputy foreign minister Ali Bagheri denied the allegations, saying the Huthis act on their "own decisions and capabilities".
burs-ami/hkb
Y.Shaath--SF-PST