-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
Shark net protects swimmers in French Pacific territory
Beach lovers were able to take a dip in New Caledonia's capital Noumea for the first time in months Wednesday, after the French Pacific territory installed a controversial net to keep sharks out.
The territory had banned sea bathing outright after two attacks earlier this year, one of them causing the death of an Australian tourist.
But Noumea's busiest beach, the Baie des Citrons, was again bustling from the early morning as temperatures mounted towards 29 degrees Celsius (84 degrees Fahrenheit).
"I'm really happy to see things going on at the beach again," said Roina, manager of beachside cafe Le Babar.
"We lost a lot of customers during the swimming ban. Cars would drive right by without stopping, it was sad. Now there isn't one free parking space."
Noumea's town hall has installed a 750-metre (820-yard) net of steel links to keep sharks out of a 10-hectare (24-acre) beach zone in the city centre.
A second is planned for Noumea's Chateau-Royal beach, where the January and February shark attacks happened.
Sitting on the sand next to her flippers in the Baie des Citrons, Luce Boulier said she used to go swimming at another beach further from the city centre.
"I don't know if I'm ready to go back there. I'm nervous. Here, I feel safe thanks to the net," she added.
Opponents of the net include a local group of retired women known as the "Fantastic Grandmothers", who have for years published daily counts of marine life for scientific use.
The waters in the Baie des Citrons are extraordinarily well-preserved for an urban area, harbouring corals, fish, turtles, rays and harmless leopard sharks.
Animals too large to slip between the links of the net have had to be removed.
"It's too soon to say" what the long-term impact on biodiversity will be, Fantastic Grandmothers member Aline Guemas told AFP.
"There's nowhere else to go for the evacuated turtles and rays. This is their living space, but our deciders couldn't care less."
Usually, "the turtles eat the algae that grows on the coral and without them here, the coral will eventually die," Guemas added.
A study on the net plan had counselled against it, given the unknown environmental impact.
But the city of Noumea believes it has done all it can by moving the animals out and leaving one of the two reefs outside the protected zone.
F.AbuShamala--SF-PST