-
South Korean survivor fights for workplace harassment 'justice'
-
Messi scores but Miami slump continues with loss to Toronto
-
Starc strikes as Bangladesh struggle to stay alive in 2nd Test
-
Sydney marathon unveils medal with wrong stadium
-
Prince Harry: royal misfit making unlikely UK return
-
Macron hosts Saudi's MBS for visit ranging from esports to Mideast
-
Blowing in the wind, humble balloon gets green makeover
-
Australia in control with 146-run first innings lead over Bangladesh
-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
China's Evergrande liquidation case adjourned until January: HK court
Heavily indebted Chinese property giant Evergrande has until late January to put together a restructuring plan, a Hong Kong court ruled Monday, extending a deadline that could lead to its liquidation.
Once China's biggest real estate developer, Evergrande has reported more than $300 billion in liabilities and its troubles have become a symbol of the nation's years-long property crisis.
A creditor last year filed a winding-up petition in Hong Kong against China Evergrande Group -- which would begin the process of liquidation -- but the case has dragged on while parties tried to broker a deal out of court.
Judge Linda Chan on Monday adjourned the case until January 29, a reprieve after earlier saying December 4 would be Evergrande's deadline before appointing independent liquidators from accounting firm KPMG.
Chan urged Evergrande on Monday to have "more direct discussion with relevant authorities to confirm (if their restructuring plan) is doable".
"What does the company plan to do in the next... weeks? Now we only have a general idea," Chan questioned Evergrande's lawyers.
She emphasised "transparency is also key", asking whether the Chinese company planned to issue announcements on restructuring updates.
"It's not just about creditors in court," Chan said.
The demise of Evergrande, which first defaulted on a payment in 2021 and declared bankruptcy in the United States this year, has been closely watched as it was once such a pillar of China's economy.
China's construction and property sector once accounted for around a quarter of its GDP.
But Chinese President Xi Jinping deemed the debt accrued by Evergrande and other property firms was an unacceptable risk for China's financial system and overall economic health.
Authorities have gradually tightened developers' access to credit since 2020, and a wave of defaults has followed.
By the end of June, Evergrande estimated it had debts of $328 billion -- equivalent to a little less than the GDP of pre-pandemic finance hub Hong Kong.
- 'Reluctantly not opposed' -
To address creditors, the property behemoth had in March offered them a choice to swap their debt into new notes issued by the company and equities in two subsidiaries, Evergrande Property Services Group and Evergrande New Energy Vehicle Group.
Negotiations stalled in September when company chair Xu Jiayin was "subject to mandatory measures" from Chinese authorities on suspicion of "crimes".
The company said the same month that it could not issue new debt because its subsidiary in China, Hengda Real Estate Group, was being investigated.
Lawyer Jose-Antonio Maurellet said Monday that due to "difficulties" related to "certain events", Evergrande was not able to issue bonds or shares.
The company has had to "rejig or recast the proposal" since the October hearing, he said, adding that he was "not sure" about the state of the two subsidiaries' finances.
"But they are trading so they have value," said Maurellet.
He said the composition of Evergrande's restructuring plan "is similar to what is envisioned under the original scheme" but will have "further refinement".
Lawyers for Top Shine Global, the creditor who filed the petition, said they were "instructed not to present any argument" against another adjournment.
"So far as adjournment is concerned, we are reluctantly not opposing it," said a lawyer in court.
According to Bloomberg, other creditors were not as pleased by the postponement.
"The petitioner changed its position and didn't push to wind up the company, which is a surprise to us," Neil McDonald, a partner at law firm Kirkland & Ellis LLP, legal adviser to an ad-hoc group of creditors, told Bloomberg.
He added that the creditor group "has firmly rejected" the latest proposal Evergrande put forward to the court.
On Monday during the time of the hearing, Evergrande's shares were up more than 13 percent on Hong Kong's stock exchange.
Hong Kong has a common law legal system that is distinct from mainland China, and is favoured by some offshore creditors as a venue to seek the liquidation of failing Chinese builders.
It remains unclear if a winding-up order issued by a Hong Kong court can or will be enforced in the mainland.
G.AbuHamad--SF-PST