-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Clashes in Dublin after children injured in suspected stabbing
Protesters in Dublin on Thursday torched a car and fought police, an AFP journalist reported, after three children were injured in a suspected school stabbing that social media rumours attributed to a foreign national.
A five-year-old girl sustained serious injuries and four other people, including two children, were taken to hospital after the incident at a city centre primary school, which occurred shortly after 1:30 pm (1330 GMT).
Hundreds of people took to the streets after rumours circulated of the attacker's nationality, some fighting with police and attacking vehicles, according to the AFP journalist.
Police chief Drew Harris blamed a "complete lunatic faction driven by far-right ideology" for the disorder and warned against the spread of "misinformation".
He said a number of police vehicles had been damaged, with video footage showing one car on fire.
One protester told AFP that "Irish people are being attacked by these scum."
Police earlier declared a major incident and threw up a cordon around Parnell Square in the heart of the Irish capital but said they do not suspect a terror motive.
Irish media and eyewitnesses reported that a man armed with a knife had stabbed the victims outside the school.
Witnesses told how a man had been disarmed and prime minister Leo Varadkar said a suspect had been arrested.
- 'Standalone attack' -
Police, the Garda Siochana, said in a statement they were "following a definite line of inquiry" and were "not looking for any other person at this time".
It added: "Five casualties have been taken to various hospitals in the Dublin region.
"The casualties include an adult male, an adult female and three young children."
Superintendent Liam Geraghty later told media that "a young girl aged five years has sustained serious injuries and is currently receiving emergency medical treatment."
A five-year-old boy and a six-year-old girl sustained less serious wounds and the boy has since been discharged, he added.
The woman was being treated for serious injuries in hospital, while the man, said to be aged in his 50s, was a "person of interest" for police, revealed Geraghty.
The police officer said that "from my understanding a knife was used in the attack".
"I'm very strongly satisfied from our inquiries that there is no terror-related activity," he said, adding: "It would appear to be a standalone attack."
Witness Siobhan Kearney said the scene was "absolutely bedlam" as she initially watched events unfold from the other side of the street.
"Without thinking, I just took across the road to help out," she told Irish national broadcaster RTE.
"We got another young man, disarmed him (the attacker) with the knife, another man took the knife and put it away for the (police) to find it."
Kearney added a group of people restrained the suspect on the ground, as some of those injured were taken back inside the school.
- 'Horrified' -
Varadkar said he was shocked by the incident.
"The emergency services responded very quickly and were on site within minutes. I thank them for that," he said in a statement.
"Gardai have detained a suspect and are following a definite line of inquiry."
Local lawmaker Aodhan O Riordain, of the Irish Labour Party, said the incident was "disturbing".
"Hope injuries are not serious but it will (be) extremely traumatising regardless for all involved," he wrote on X, formerly Twitter.
Mary Lou McDonald, leader of the Sinn Fein opposition party, said she was "horrified" by what had happened.
"There is shock throughout the community. I have just spoken to the Principal of Gaelscoil Cholaiste Mhuire and relayed my support to the school community," she said in a statement.
"I want to send my solidarity to the families of those attacked. As a parent, I can only imagine what they are going through right now," she added, praising the police for their swift response.
F.Qawasmeh--SF-PST