-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
'My world collapsed again' says son of Israeli hostage killed in Gaza
When Hamas militants stormed Omer Weiss' kibbutz in southern Israel on October 7, they killed his father and kidnapped his mother. On Thursday the Israeli military told him she had been found dead, and his world fell apart again.
Yehudit Weiss, 65, was one of some 240 hostages snatched by militants and taken to the Gaza Strip, according to Israeli authorities.
With their home in kibbutz Beeri devastated in the attack, Weiss and his wife and baby daughter have been staying with friends in the coastal city of Netanya.
"The officers knocked on the door and we immediately understood," he told AFP, his eyes filled with tears.
"They handed us the notice and the world collapsed for the second time."
It was not his first such door knock: barely five weeks earlier, authorities had come to tell him his father Shmulik was dead.
For the past six weeks, Israel has been waging a deadly war in Gaza to wipe out the Palestinian territory's Hamas rulers and bring home the hostages, among them a baby, dozens of children, scores of women and a number of people in their 80s.
But on Thursday evening, the army said it had found the body of Yehudit Weiss near Al-Shifa hospital in Gaza City, saying she had been killed by militants.
The kibbutz she called home lies just four kilometres (2.5 miles) from the Gaza border and was devastated by the attack, with 85 residents killed and another 30 kidnapped and taken to Gaza, or listed as missing.
During the October 7 attacks, the deadliest in Israel's history, militants killed some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, according to Israeli officials.
Israel is hitting back with a deadly campaign that has claimed at least 12,000 lives, also mostly civilians and including thousands of children, according to Gaza's Hamas-run health ministry.
- 'We were lucky' -
On the day of the massacre, Weiss -- who works at the kibbutz's printing firm -- said he and his family survived because the militants simply did not come to their house.
It was, he said, like a game of "Russian roulette, my parents had bad luck and we were lucky."
He and his wife, who also have a two-year-old, pushed their way onto a crowded bus and escaped. But he remains haunted by the images he saw as they fled.
"Burnt-out cars with bodies inside, and a lot of bodies scattered on the road," he told AFP, saying the bus even drove over some of the remains.
"It was the only way to get out."
After hearing about the death of his father, a 65-year-old mechanic, Weiss and his siblings clung onto the hope that they would see their mother again.
"We still had the hope Mum would come back and that we could mourn him together," he said.
But since October 7, he and the other families of hostages taken to Gaza heard nothing. "We endured 40 days with not even a grain of information about Mum," he said.
The funeral for his mother, a former nurse, will take place on Sunday near Netanya where she will be laid to rest alongside his father in a temporary grave.
And one day, he hopes to be able to rebury them both side by side in Beeri if their kibbutz is ever rebuilt.
Before then, he is hoping many of the hostages can still be saved.
"Our hearts are with the families of the kidnapped," he said.
"We sought help from the Red Cross, from Doctors Without Borders, from human rights organisations," he said, describing how the families had written to the army, to the Israeli government and to representatives of the European Union and the United States.
"Nobody answered us."
U.Shaheen--SF-PST