-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Judge recommends eight-month suspended term for France's Chalureau over racist attack
A French judge recommended on Tuesday that France lock Bastien Chalureau be handed an eight-month suspended prison sentence for a racially-motivated attack in 2020.
Second-row Chalureau, 31, who was part of France's Rugby World Cup squad earlier this year, was originally given a six-month suspended sentence but appealed.
During his recommendations at the Toulouse Court of Appeal the judge suggested a heavier sentence, two months longer than Chalureau's original one.
"The facts have been established," the judge said before adding that the complainants "spoke of undeniably racist remarks".
The court's decision regarding the judge's recommendation is expected on January 16, 2024.
"I greatly regret what I did, I am not racist," Chalureau, who admitted he had consumed a lot of beer, whiskey and vodka the evening of the attack, told the court.
"I have never made an inappropriate comment towards anyone. I have worked on myself with a psychologist, I've changed my lifestyle."
The court case overshadowed the start to France's World Cup campaign, before they were knocked out by eventual winners South Africa in the quarter-finals last month.
Chalureau played just half an hour during the campaign after being called up to replace the injured Paul Willemse.
Montpellier's Chalureau had accepted he attacked two other rugby players during a night out in January 2020 but denies using racist language during the incident.
It took place in Toulouse, when Chalureau played for the town's top-flight club.
In November 2020, a Toulouse court sentenced Chalureau to a suspended six-month prison sentence for "acts of violence... committed because of the race or ethnicity of the victim".
Chalureau was sacked by Toulouse after the decision before joining their Top 14 rivals Montpellier.
During the World Cup, former France captain Thierry Dusautoir said he had a problem with Chalureau's presence in the national team.
Former Toulouse flanker Dusautoir is a close friend of one of the victims.
French president Emmanuel Macron had said it would be preferable that Chalureau no longer played for France if his appeal failed.
Some politicians had asked for Chalureau to be withdrawn from France's World Cup squad due to the incident.
The decision is set to be announced less than three weeks before France's next game, when they start the 2024 Six Nations against Ireland on February 2 in Marseille.
G.AbuHamad--SF-PST