-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Amnesty accuses Cambodia over 'forced evictions' at Angkor Wat
Rights group Amnesty International on Tuesday accused Cambodia of breaking international law through the eviction of 10,000 families from around the Angkor Wat temple complex.
Phnom Penh has over the past year increased the relocation of families living within the sprawling UNESCO world heritage site to a new community being built on former rice paddies 25 kilometres (15 miles) away since last year.
Officials have long maintained that families are moving voluntarily, but in a report released Tuesday Amnesty says many are receiving "direct and subtle threats" to move.
"They must immediately cease forcibly evicting people and violating international human rights law," said Montse Ferrer of Amnesty.
Cambodian government spokesman Pen Bona said the report was "not right", insisting that the relocation of villagers was done on a "voluntary" basis and in line with UNESCO rules.
UNESCO said it was "deeply concerned" by the report, which comes on the eve of a regular intergovernmental conference on Angkor at the culture body's headquarters in Paris.
The temple complex dating back to the ninth century is Cambodia's top tourist attraction, and pre-pandemic drew more than two million foreigners every year.
The tourists spawned a micro-economy of stallholders, food and souvenir sellers and beggars, and the local population exploded from an estimated 20,000 in the early 1990s to about 120,000 by 2013.
Cambodian authorities say they are acting to protect the ruins by moving squatters whose informal settlements are damaging the local environment by producing rubbish and overusing water resources.
Officials say that only unauthorised settlements -- often ramshackle huts without proper sewage, running water or in some cases electricity -- have been targeted.
- UNESCO concern -
The Amnesty report calls on UNESCO to condemn Penh Phnom's actions and warns of further escalation if it should fail to do so.
"Unless there is serious pushback from UNESCO, conservation efforts may increasingly be weaponised by states to their own ends, at the expense of human rights," Ferrer said.
The rights group alleges that officials from Apsara National Authority-- the body which manages the archaeological park -- and the land ministry are using UNESCO to justify the relocations.
One resident said Cambodian authorities told her explicitly that "UNESCO wants you to leave" or lose the site's world heritage status.
At least seven villagers who live around Angkor Wat have been sued by Apsara, for allegedly inciting and obstructing public work, according court summons seen by AFP.
The lawsuits were filed after hundreds of villagers protested against an attempt by Apsara officials in August to demolish allegedly illegal structures inside the archaeological park.
"UNESCO is deeply concerned about the population relocation programme in Angkor carried out by the Cambodian authorities," the UN body said in a statement, adding that it had "never requested, nor supported, nor was a party to this programme".
UNESCO called on Cambodia to take "corrective measures" and to respond to Amnesty's allegations in its next report on Angkor.
Government spokesman Pen Bona said the government was acting in line with UNESCO rules.
"Cambodia must respect conditions imposed by UNESCO," he told AFP, adding that the conditions required that there were no structures, constructions, or people living at the site.
"There could be a few villagers who may not be happy and they (Amnesty) interviewed them and said that the government conducted forced evictions," he said.
L.AbuTayeh--SF-PST