-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
Israel aims shock-value online campaign at Europe
Israel is running a hard-hitting online campaign targeting mostly Europeans with shocking images and testimonies from the attacks carried out by Islamist militant group Hamas on October 7.
Dozens of clips of burnt bodies, bereaved families, fast-cuts of screams and sirens, rescue workers and pathologists are featured on the Israeli foreign ministry's official social media channels and in paid advertising campaigns.
The idea is to keep fresh in the minds of the foreign public how Hamas fighters crossed from Gaza into Israel and, according to Israeli officials, killed some 1,400 people, mostly civilians, while also seizing more than 230 hostages.
The online campaign also aims to justify Israel's relentless bombing of Gaza since then, which has killed more than 8,300 people, including over 3,000 children, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.
Some of the videos are graphic: in one clip, a pathologist describes photos of a child's burnt body.
Others are unashamedly emotive. Cartoon unicorns frolic among rainbows before giant capital letters pop up on the screen: "Just as you would do everything for your child, we will do everything to protect ours."
"This is how we communicate in 2023," Emmanuel Nahshon of the Israeli foreign ministry told AFP.
But experts say the campaign risks alienating some audiences.
There has already been some pushback, with Google limiting access to one graphic clip and a gaming firm demanding the ads be removed.
- 1.1 billion views -
Nahshon said he wanted the message to get out to the world that Hamas's atrocities are comparable to those of the Islamic State group, also known as ISIS, who were notorious for publicising their massacres and hostage-taking.
The Israeli videos come with made-for-sharing slogans such as "BringThemHome", "Stand with Israel, Stand with Humanity" or "Hamas=ISIS" even though many scholars reject the comparison between Hamas and Islamic State group jihadists.
Nahshon said the videos had racked up more than one billion views, a claim backed by data from US digital marketing company Semrush, which showed the campaign at that stage had clocked up 1.1 billion views in some 30 countries.
Nahshon said the government had invested "a few hundred thousand dollars" -- though Semrush figures suggested the cost was $8.5 million.
The principal target of the ad campaign is France, home to the largest Jewish and Arab-Muslim communities in Europe, where $4.6 million has been spent.
Germany came next at $2.4 million followed by the United Kingdom, with $1.2 million spent, according to Semrush.
- 'Unbearable images' -
Stephanie Lamy, a specialist in wartime communication strategies, argued that Israel's campaign was pursuing the single goal of legitimising its bombing in Gaza.
"The aim is to justify violence and even to try to secure impunity in the event of a contravention of international law," she said.
Hamas is also waging an online information campaign to strengthen its own case, highlighting Israel's aggression and its toll on innocent Palestinians in Gaza.
But Hamas is designated a terrorist group by the United States and European Union, meaning it is banned from the main social media platforms.
The militant group had been using official channels on the Telegram app to push its message, including graphic videos of Israel's bombing of Gaza and clips of the October 7 attacks shot by some of its fighters.
These channels have been disabled in recent days on Google's Android platform.
Israel's campaign, too, has suffered setbacks.
Google told AFP last week that the clip featuring the burnt body of a child had been made inaccessible to young people and that they had added an explicit content warning.
The maker of the "Angry Birds" game, Finnish firm Rovio, said it had asked its advertising partners to block an Israeli ad after complaints from users on social media.
That still leaves Israel way ahead in the information war in terms of viewing figures.
But experts say any achievements could come at a price.
"Subjecting people to images that are literally unbearable is a risky strategy" for Israel, said communications expert Arnaud Mercier.
"It could be counterproductive with an audience who didn't ask to be exposed to it."
M.AbuKhalil--SF-PST