-
Pegula dethrones Swiatek to reach Cincinnati final
-
World No. 3 Pegula beats defending champ Swiatek to reach Cincy final
-
IndyCars zip among iconic Washington landmarks ahead of Freedom 250
-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
UK police officers fired over black athletes' stop and search
Two London police officers were fired Wednesday after a disciplinary hearing found them guilty of gross misconduct during the stop and search of two black professional sprinters, in the latest scandal to hit Britain's biggest force.
The capital's Metropolitan Police said they were dismissed after a misconduct panel determined they had lied about smelling cannabis in the car that British athlete Williams and her Portuguese sprinter partner Ricardo Dos Santos were travelling in.
The Met had already apologised to Williams, 29, a European and Commonwealth 100m gold medallist, and 400m Olympic runner dos Santos, 28, after they accused officers of racial profiling following the stop three years ago.
The force, which has faced a slew of scandals in recent years that have rocked confidence in British policing, reiterated the apology after Wednesday's verdict.
"Honesty and integrity are at the core of policing and, as the panel has concluded, there can be no place in the Met for officers who do not uphold these values," Deputy Assistant Commissioner Matt Ward said in a statement.
"Mr Dos Santos and Ms Williams deserved better and I apologise to them for the distress they have suffered."
Williams and dos Santos were handcuffed and their car was searched in July 2020 in London's Maida Vale area but nothing was found. The athletes' young child was in the car at the time.
The couple were not arrested and were allowed on their way.
They complained to a police watchdog, and five officers involved in the incident were accused of gross misconduct -- allegations they denied.
- Reforms needed -
The misconduct panel did not uphold the allegations against three of the officers but concluded that Jonathan Clapham and Sam Franks had lied about smelling cannabis during the stop.
The hearing's chairwoman said their conduct had breached standards of professional behaviour in respect of honesty and integrity, which amounted to gross misconduct.
After the incident, Williams told BBC radio: "They (the police) see a black male driving a nice car, an all-black car, and they assume that he was involved in some sort of gang, drug, violence problem."
The Met said at the time that they were satisfied, after reviewing footage from social media and bodycam footage, that the officers acted appropriately.
The officers said they stopped the car after assessing that it was being driven in a suspicious manner. The area was being patrolled because of a surge in violence.
Last year, the police standards watchdog said that British forces disproportionately stopped and searched people from Black, Asian and other ethnic minority backgrounds
The Met accepted the watchdog's recommendations that it should amend its stop and search policies.
Meanwhile, the force -- Britain's biggest with nearly 35,000 officers -- is imposing broader reforms after a review reported earlier this year that it is institutionally racist, sexist and homophobic.
The report, written by government official Louise Casey, was commissioned after the kidnap, rape and murder two years ago of a London woman, Sarah Everard, by serving Metropolitan Police officer Wayne Couzens.
Since then another officer, David Carrick, has also been jailed for life for dozens of rapes and sexual assaults stretching back two decades, and several other Met scandals have emerged.
K.Hassan--SF-PST