-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
French school killer claimed attack for Islamic State group: prosecutor
The man who killed a French schoolteacher last week was expected to be charged with terror offences on Tuesday, a prosecutor said, adding that he had sworn allegiance to the Islamic State extremist group in an audio recording before his attack.
Friday's attack, in combination with the surge in Middle East tensions after Hamas' October 7 attack on Israel and Israeli reprisals, has jangled nerves in France and put the country on high alert for further violence.
The suspected attacker, Mohammed Moguchkov, 20, a Russian citizen from the mainly Muslim northern Caucasus, was brought before an anti-terror judge who will decide whether to charge and remand him in custody ahead of trial.
His 16-year-old brother and 15-year-old cousin, suspected of providing assistance before he fatally knifed teacher Dominique Bernard, 57, at his former school in Arras, northern France, were also appearing before the judge.
Anti-terrorist prosecutors have opened a probe into terrorist conspiracy, murder as part of a terrorist plot and related charges.
Moguchkov had "sworn allegiance to the Islamic State" in a long audio recording, prosecutor Jean-Francois Ricard told reporters in Paris, adding that further information had been gleaned from people close to him and a video recorded before the assault.
A source familiar with the case said he had made a "very marginal" reference to the conflict concerning Gaza in a video following the attack on Israel by Hamas.
The killing of Bernard has shocked people in France. It comes almost three years to the day after the beheading of teacher Samuel Paty outside Paris on October 16, 2020.
That murder was carried out by an Islamist radical from Russia's southern region of Chechnya, which borders the Ingushetia region where Moguchkov was born.
- Bomb threats -
France again raised its security level after Friday's attack, deploying 7,000 troops.
Adding to the tension, the Arras high school was evacuated on Monday over a bomb threat, which proved to be a false alarm.
On Tuesday, the Palace of Versailles -- one of France's most recognisable historic landmarks -- was also evacuated after a bomb threat, according to a post from its account on X (formerly Twitter) and a source familiar with the case.
The palace had received a similar threat on Saturday.
Following the shooting on Monday in the Belgian capital, Brussels, of two Swedes by a Tunisian man also claiming inspiration from Islamic State, French President Emmanuel Macron said on Tuesday: "All European states are vulnerable... There is a return of this Islamist terrorism."
"We all have a vulnerability. It's what comes with being a democracy, a rule-of-law state where there are individuals who can decide at a given moment to commit the worst acts," Macron told reporters in the Albanian capital, Tirana.
He nevertheless added that he had seen "no failures" by French security services ahead of the stabbing in Arras.
Macron's government has brought forward to December the parliamentary debate on an already planned immigration bill, flagging it as a response to the dangers of terrorism.
The French leader has told ministers to "embody a state that is ruthless towards all those who harbour hate and terrorist ideologies".
- 'Sanctuary' schools -
He wrote in a social media post on Monday that schools would remain a "bulwark" against extremism and "a sanctuary for our pupils and everyone who works there".
Macron's office said he would attend schoolteacher Bernard's funeral on Thursday.
France, which has sizeable Muslim and Jewish populations, has been on the alert for violence since Hamas's attack on Israel.
Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said on Monday that 102 people had been arrested for anti-Semitic acts or expressing support for terrorism since the October 7 assault.
Moguchkov, who reportedly arrived in France aged five, was already on a French national register as a potential security threat and under surveillance by France's domestic intelligence agency, the DGSI.
His father, who was also on the list, was deported in 2018.
Macron has called on police to comb through their files of radicalised people who could be deported.
Darmanin said 193 such cases would be re-examined.
Macron has told Darmanin to focus especially on "young men between the ages of 16 and 25 from the Caucasus", his aide said.
H.Jarrar--SF-PST