-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Mali cancels Air France clearance to resume flights: officials
Mali's ruling junta has cancelled the authorisation given to Air France to resume flights to the country, two senior officials and an air transport official said Wednesday.
It comes a day after Air France announced the resumption of flights from Friday, two months after suspending them following the coup in neighbouring Niger.
"The decision has been cancelled because the agreement was given without consulting the hierarchy," said one official.
It comes amid heightened tensions in the Sahel as well as tensions between Mali's ruling junta and France.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, the official added that Mali's director of civil aviation had been dismissed, without saying on what grounds.
"There will be no Air France flight on Friday," a second official said. "This must be done in a responsible and coordinated manner, all while respecting our sovereignty."
The air transport official confirmed that "authorisation has been cancelled", without providing further details.
"It is clear that flights will not resume on Friday," he said.
Air France on August 7 suspended its seven flights per week to Mali, as well as its five flights per week to Burkina Faso, citing the geopolitical situation in the region.
It came after neighbouring Niger closed its air space following a coup on July 26.
Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger are all ruled by military juntas following a series of coups between 2020 and 2023.
They are also plagued by jihadist insurgencies and violence.
The three countries' relationships with former colonial power France have significantly deteriorated since the coups.
Mali cancelled Air France's authorisation after the company suspended its flights.
Air France on Tuesday said it would resume service to the Malian capital Bamako from Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport with three direct flights per week on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays.
It was to use crew members and a Boeing 777-200 ER from the Portuguese company EuroAtlantic Airways.
France's foreign ministry has "formally" advised French citizens not to go to Mali, including aircrew, due to the security situation.
Mali's junta has made the restoration of sovereignty one of its mantras.
In the face of jihadist insurgencies, the three Sahel countries have blamed France, historically an ally, for many of their struggles.
France's troops and ambassadors are being pushed out of the countries.
Following hostile demonstrations in the capitals, France in August updated its travel advisories to include the three cities in its "red zone", which already covered most of the region.
kt-mk-sd-lal/sba/prc/kjm
S.AbuJamous--SF-PST