-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Overpass in deadly Venice bus crash 'was under renovation'
The Venice overpass from which a bus plunged killing 21 people this week had been earmarked for renovation for years and had a hole in the barrier which was due to be closed, it emerged Thursday.
A repair project was launched in 2016 but works only began in September and had yet to reach the section the bridge where Tuesday evening's tragedy occurred, the city's transport councillor said in various newspaper interviews.
The electric city bus, carrying tourists back from Venice's historic centre, is believed to have scraped along the edge of the barrier on the side of the road for several metres before reaching a 1.5-metre (four foot) gap.
A second metal fence on the edge of the bridge provided little resistance, and the bus fell 10 metres to the ground, landing upside down next to train tracks below, crushing the passengers inside.
An investigation is underway into what exactly happened, with speculation focusing on a possible illness of the driver, who died in the crash.
But Italy's national newspapers Thursday highlighted the potentially deadly role of the gap in a barrier, with La Stampa calling it a "scandal".
Venice councillor Renato Boraso he said the gap had been designed for maintenance when the overpass was built half a century ago.
"The barriers are not compliant with current laws," he acknowledged, and said any gaps would have been closed next year as part of the repair works.
The crash has reignited debate over Italy's crumbling infrastructure, but Boraso denied the Venice authority was to blame.
He said that since 2016, renovating the overpass had been a priority but the process of contracting out the seven-million-euro project was "long and complex".
"Let us ask ourselves why such a procedure for works has to be so long in Italy," he added.
Finally, he said, "work started in September. They arrived at 400 metres" from the crash site.
In addition to the driver, the 21 killed included nine Ukrainians, four Romanians, three Germans, two Portuguese, one South African and a Croatian, the Venice mayor's office has confirmed.
Z.Ramadan--SF-PST