-
Wyndham Clark surges clear at BMW Championship
-
Real Madrid snatch late win at Espanyol on Mourinho's return
-
Maresca says Man City must fill Rodri void after Barca switch
-
Real Madrid beat Espanyol in Mourinho's first game on return
-
Canada retaliates as trade war with US escalates
-
Olise helps Bayern past Dortmund in German Supercup
-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
Relatives arrive in Italy for loved ones after deadly Venice bus crash
Relatives of victims of a deadly bus crash in Italy began arriving in Venice from other European countries Wednesday, looking to comfort injured loved ones or identify their dead.
Twenty-one people including a toddler were killed when the bus carrying tourists broke through a guardrail on an overpass Tuesday evening and plunged to the ground, before bursting into flames.
A Croatian woman who had been honeymooning in Venice was among the dead, while her newlywed husband was hospitalised, media reports said.
Fifteen people remain in hospital, 13 of whom have been identified as foreign nationals, the Veneto region said.
Ten of the 15 were in intensive care, it said.
Four of those being cared for at the Angelo di Mestre hospital "are asking for information about their loved ones who were with them," said head of medicine Chiara Berti.
"There were entire families, grandparents, grandchildren, spouses" on board, she told reporters.
Moreno De Rossi, in charge of the psychological support team for the survivors, said it was "a painful, very difficult moment", and there were officials on hand to help with translation.
- 'Flipped upside down' -
Venice authorities have declared three days of mourning after the tragedy, which has sparked debate over the state of Italy's crumbling infrastructure.
"The bus flipped upside down," said Mauro Luongo, Venice's fire brigade commander. "The impact was terrible because it fell from over 10 metres (32 feet)."
Emergency workers spent hours removing bodies from the charred, crushed wreckage, a scene described by Venice Mayor Luigi Brugnaro as "apocalyptic".
Investigators were still trying to identify the dead Wednesday.
They have turned to DNA samples to confirm their identities, as the bus was carrying around 40 tourists from Venice's historic centre to a camping site, and many passengers did not have documents.
- 'Two years old' -
Boubacar Toure, a 27-year-old from Gambia who had been working at a building site near the accident, told journalists he had been called over by the fire brigade to help with the rescue.
"I pulled three or four people out, including a little girl, and also a dog. The driver was already dead," Toure said.
Nigerian welder Godstime Erheneden, 30, said he helped a woman who begged him in English to save her daughter.
"I then saw a little girl who must have been two years old. She was unconscious, I fear dead. She is the same age as my son. It's like I lost him," he told the Corriere della Sera daily.
Venice Prefect Michele di Bari told journalists the victims included five Ukrainians, a German, and the Italian driver.
Ukraine's foreign ministry told AFP, however, that four of its citizens were among the dead.
Romania's foreign ministry said four of its citizens were also killed.
The injured include four Ukrainians, a German, a Croatian, and two Spaniards, di Bari said.
Italian media reported that two of the injured were German children -- brothers aged seven and 13, whose parents were killed in the crash, and who have been hospitalised with fractures.
- 'Tragedy foretold' -
Firefighters said the bus fell from an overpass straddling a railway line and linking the mainland Mestre and Marghera districts of Venice in northern Italy.
Footage from a roadside camera, passed to journalists by local sources, showed it travelling in the far-right lane.
Another bus obscures it from view for a few seconds before it is seen again, toppling slowly off the overpass.
"The main hypothesis at the moment is that the bus driver... may have fallen ill," said the president of the Veneto region, Luca Zaia.
But Domenico Musicco, head of an association for road accident victims, said it was "a tragedy foretold".
"The guardrail was designed for a country road, whereas here we needed new-generation equipment that could have prevented the bus from falling," he told AFP.
"Italian road maintenance is poor. Too little is invested in road safety. It is estimated that 30 percent of accidents are down to that," he said.
Iana Morgagni, a 23-year-old student living in Venice, said she had seen the police cars racing to the scene, and realised she had had a narrow escape.
"I was late so I took the bus later than the one that crashed," she told AFP.
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni had earlier expressed her "profound condolences", while several European leaders also sent messages of support.
In July 2018, a bus carrying a group of some 50 holidaymakers back to Naples fell off a viaduct near the city killing 40 people in all.
G.AbuOdeh--SF-PST