-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
Belgium opens memorial on site of serial killer's 'horror house'
Belgium on Tuesday opens a memorial garden on the site where notorious serial killer Marc Dutroux imprisoned his young victims, more than a quarter of a century after his crimes shocked Europe.
Authorities in the city of Charleroi last year tore down the "house of horrors", in which Dutroux tortured and raped children in a soundproofed dungeon.
The parents of two of his victims, Julie Lejeune and Melissa Russo, will be there to formally inaugurate the tree-filled garden decorated with a mural of a child watching a kite soar into the sky.
"What the memorial will represent is not death, it's life," said lead architect Georgios Millis told AFP.
"It was a very complicated project because of the severity of the tragedy and circumstances that are still very sensitive for the families," he said.
Sentenced in 2004 to life imprisonment, Dutroux, today aged 66, was found guilty on charges including murder, kidnapping and rape involving six girls and young women in 1995-1996.
The modest red-brick building in the Marcinelle suburb of Charleroi became infamous when in August 1996 Dutroux led police to two kidnapped teen girls, aged 14 and 12, cowering in the basement.
The investigation into Belgium's worst paedophile crimes established that eight-year-olds Julie and Melissa had also been held at the property for months.
Their bodies were found buried at another property. A postmortem showed they had been starved to death.
- Cellar preserved -
Public shock turned to fury as it emerged not only that police had missed a string of clues, but that Dutroux had been released from jail in 1992 after serving just three years of a 13-year sentence for the abduction and rape of five girls.
Gino Russo, the father of victim Melissa, said important questions in the case remain unanswered.
He asked for the basement to be left intact for potential future investigations.
The authorities agreed, and the dungeon remains under the ground.
Russo told AFP he had "made a concession" to the city of Charleroi by collaborating on the memorial project.
He said it was "impossible" Melissa and Julie could have survived in the cramped cellar of just a few square metres for over 100 days without outside care.
"My indignation remains undiminished, it has not been appeased," he said.
Dutroux dropped a bid for parole in 2020 after a psychiatric report concluded he remained dangerous.
His former wife Michelle Martin, who was found guilty of aiding him, and a co-conspirator have already been released from jail.
Authorities also demolished another house this year in the village of Sars-la-Buissiere, where the bodies of Julie and Melissa were discovered.
F.Qawasmeh--SF-PST