-
Fils dominates Cobolli to book Cincinnati final
-
Coach Rennie hails clinical All Blacks after Springboks Test win
-
Spurs lacked fight in dismal defeat at Brentford says De Zerbi
-
Charlton deliver blow to 'under pressure' Hammers boss Nuno
-
Inter thrash Monza to launch Serie A title defence
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, big-spending Spurs crushed
-
Shambolic Spurs battered by Brentford
-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
Strike worries overshadow Detroit Auto Show
This week's Detroit Auto Show is meant to showcase impressive new electric vehicles, but the fanfare looks destined to be upstaged by a brewing labor dispute and the increasing likelihood of a strike.
The show, known officially as the North American International Detroit Auto Show, opens to the public on Saturday following media and technology days earlier in the week.
But this year's Detroit gathering -- now mainly a forum for products of the three legacy Michigan automakers -- comes as Detroit's "Big Three" face down-to-the-wire contract negotiations with the United Auto Workers led by its ambitious new president Shawn Fain.
"The labor contract negotiations are on everyone's mind," said Alan Amici, president of the Center for Automotive Research, a nonprofit in Ann Arbor, Michigan. "There's a degree of nervousness in the Detroit area."
As the two sides have traded proposals and counterproposals in recent days, Fain has made clear his displeasure with Ford, General Motors and Stellantis, reiterating the possibility of a strike at all three companies if there is no agreement by September 14, when the current contracts expire.
The UAW represents about 150,000 workers at the three companies.
"If we hit 11:59 Thursday without a deal at any of the Big Three automakers, there will be a strike at all three if need be," Fain said Friday night in a webcast briefing.
Fain has said rank-and-file workers merit the same 40 percent pay hikes as enjoyed by the automakers' CEOs. But the latest pay offers from the companies fall well below this level.
The carmakers have also balked at measures to boost retiree health benefits and reinstate guaranteed pensions for all workers.
- Smaller show -
Formerly held in January, the Detroit show was rebooted as an autumn event in 2022 with a primary focus on retail consumers, offering a chance to get a closer look at electric vehicles (EVs) expected to become a bigger presence in the years ahead.
Last year's event had few major auto reveals and was skipped by international mainstays of the old January show like Toyota and Volkswagen. But President Joe Biden made an appearance, touting an EV future.
This year's highlights include the Tuesday night launch of an upgraded Ford F-150 pickup, long the top-selling vehicle in the United States.
That will be followed on Wednesday by press conferences with the GM and Stellantis brands (Stellantis was formed by the 2021 merger of Fiat Chrysler and the French PSA group), and by a technology forum on Thursday and a fireside chat with bestselling author Malcolm Gladwell.
The UAW has not said whether it will hold events near Huntington Place, where the show is being held in downtown Detroit. But the union is expected to remain highly visible as the deadline nears.
- Tough talk -
Ford was the first to respond to the UAW's demands, offering a nine percent general wage increase plus six percent in one-time bonuses.
Fain said the Ford proposal "insults our very worth," and he rejected a similar offer subsequently released by GM as "insulting."
On Friday, Stellantis released an offer that included a 14.5 percent increase in wages, plus a $6,000 one-time inflation adjustment in the first year of the contract, followed by $4,500 in such payments the following three years.
"This is movement," Fain said Friday night. "We went from nine percent at Ford to 14 and a half percent at Stellantis. That's happening because we're putting on pressure."
But a 14.5 percent increase is "deeply inadequate," he said. "It doesn't make up for inflation. It doesn't make up for decades of falling wages. And it doesn't reflect the massive profits we've generated for this company."
Given the gulf between the UAW and the companies and the little time remaining, many analysts are viewing a strike as likely, though probably not against all three automakers.
Harry Katz, a professor at Cornell's School of Industrial and Labor Relations, said Fain's "sharp" rhetoric, coupled with the waning hours have made a strike more likely.
But Katz noted that Teamsters President Sean O'Brien had also blasted company officials before reaching a deal with package delivery company UPS that averted a strike.
"There are settlements out there that are better if the parties can find them," Katz said. "But sometimes they don't find them."
Jason Miller, a professor of supply chain management at Michigan State University, said a lengthy strike would reverberate beyond Michigan, resulting in depressed household spending and having ripple effects at auto suppliers that might lay off workers.
The six-week 2019 strike at GM "hurt us a little but we obviously recovered from it," said Miller.
A long strike at all three companies would "have a major negative on the economy of the Great Lakes region and Canada as well."
W.Mansour--SF-PST