-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
UK accuses striking doctors of harming patients
Hospital doctors in England on Friday launched their latest walkout as the government said their strike to demand a 35-percent pay increase served "only to harm patients".
The four-day stoppage comes with health chiefs estimating that the repeated industrial action had cost the publicly funded health service £1 billion ($1.2 billion).
The British Medical Association (BMA) which represents junior doctors says their take-home pay has fallen by 26 percent in the last 15 years.
Health Secretary Steve Barclay issued his strongest condemnation so far of the doctors who have rejected the government's pay offer of six percent plus a one-off payment of £1,250.
Writing in the Daily Mail, he accused the BMA of "acting recklessly".
The strike action served "only to harm patients and put further pressure on their own colleagues", he added.
Doctors on the picket line outside University College Hospital in central London hospital, however, said they had no choice but to strike to restore pay levels and stop doctors leaving the state-funded National Health Service (NHS).
"Full pay restoration must happen, that's not for negotiation, what is for negotiation is how it is structured and what the time frame is," Robert Laurenson, a doctor and co-chair of the BMA's junior doctors committee, told AFP.
"This is predominantly about pay because we know that many of our colleagues leave to go to other countries and other industries simply because the pay is too poor to be able to retain doctors," he added.
Junior doctors -- physicians who are not senior specialists but who may still have years of experience -- make up about half of the doctors in UK hospitals.
The strike is their fifth round of industrial action.
"Doctors are working tirelessly to bring waiting lists down. The government are the ones who refuse to come to the table," added junior doctor Sumi Manirajan, who is deputy co-chair of the committee.
"We are chronically understaffed and everyone is at breaking point," he added.
- '£1 bn cost of strikes' -
The NHS is grappling with record patient waiting times due to a large pandemic backlog.
A record 7.6 million people in England were waiting to start routine hospital treatment in June, according to data published by the NHS on Thursday.
Julian Hartley, chief executive of NHS Providers, said the series of strikes by junior doctors had cost the NHS £1 billion ($1.2 billion).
Hospitals were having to "pay premium rates to consultants" to cover for the medics, he told BBC radio.
Nurses, ambulance staff and other medical workers have all joined picket lines in recent months, mounting more pressure on the NHS.
Other workers across the economy have also walked out over the past year demanding pay rises in response to the worst cost-of-living crisis in a generation.
According to NHS figures, close to 778,000 medical appointments have been postponed across the health service in England due to strike action since December.
"We've seen again and again that no-one benefits from this disruption," Barclay said, adding that the pay offer was "more generous" than for other public sector staff.
The government has said its pay offer announced in mid-July is "final" and urged the BMA to drop its pay demand "immediately".
P.AbuBaker--SF-PST