-
Canada's Carney stands up to Trump, despite risks
-
Pogacar wins Vuelta a Espana opening stage
-
Lens hammer Auxerre thanks to Thauvin penalty double
-
Clinical New Zealand shock wasteful South Africa in first Test
-
No singles for Serena, but she joins Alcaraz for US Open
-
Canada hits back with new tariffs after trade talks with US fail
-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
Nigerian workers suspend strike over cost of living crisis
Nigerian workers have suspended a nationwide strike over the rising cost of living following the removal of a petrol subsidy scheme, the government and union leaders said Thursday.
Hundreds of workers across all sectors went on strike on Wednesday in compliance with the directives of the two main unions -- the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC).
The presidency said Thursday's strike had been suspended following talks between the two union leaders and President Bola Tinubu late on Wednesday.
"Consequent upon the fruitful and frank discussion with President Tinubu and their confidence in his ability to encourage open and honest consideration of all the issues put forward by the Labour Movement, the Labour Leaders resolved to stop further protest," the presidency said in a statement.
The presidency added that union leaders had "opted for further constructive engagement with the government to resolve all outstanding issues as they affect the working people and Nigerians in general."
Union leaders confirmed the suspension of the strike to AFP.
Tinubu ended a fuel subsidy scheme -- pushing up prices of food, transportation and other services -- on May 29, during his inauguration as the new leader of Africa's most populous nation.
In Abuja on Wednesday, some 400 protesters led by NLC leader Joe Ajaero and his TUC counterpart Festus Usifo, marched through the capital carrying placards and chanting slogans.
They denounced low wages, lack of social amenities and adequate welfare as well as mass poverty.
The protesters stormed the parliament and smashed one of the gates before presenting their petitions to Senate leaders.
The protesters were accompanied by armed police and soldiers.
Many businesses were closed Wednesday, including government offices, banks and markets. Only a few vehicles were on the roads as the workers marched towards the city centre.
But in Lagos and other cities across the country of some 210 million people, the strike action was mixed, with some markets, shops and government offices remaining open in the sprawling city of over 20 million people.
In the southern states of Abia, Ebonyi and Cross River striking workers took to major roads and headed to government offices to present their demands.
The oil-rich country imports the bulk of its petroleum products due to problems at four domestic oil refineries.
Under the now-dropped subsidy scheme, the government covered the difference between the cost of import and prices at the pump.
Last week both unions gave the government until Wednesday to restore the subsidy or faced nationwide action.
The unions were also asking the government to fix the decrepit refineries in order to end fuel imports, which has been a huge drain on foreign reserves and resources.
A.AlHaj--SF-PST