-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
Philips sales jump, bounces back from respirator recall
Dutch medical tech firm Philips posted a nine percent jump in second-quarter sales and a return to profit on Monday as it bounces back from a global recall of sleep respirators.
The Amsterdam-based company said sales rose to 4.5 billion euros ($4.9 billion).
It reported a net profit of 74 million euros following a loss of 20 million euros over the same period last year.
"I am pleased with our improved operational performance across all segments and geographies in the quarter," Philips chief executive Roy Jakobs said.
The medical device maker in 2021 announced a major recall of its DreamStation machines for sleep apnoea, a disorder in which breathing stops and starts during sleep.
Users were said to be at risk of inhaling or swallowing pieces of toxic soundproofing foam that could cause irritation or headaches.
Philips also mentioned a "potential" cancer risk in the long term.
But it announced in May that independent tests showed the sleep respirators at the centre of the massive recall were "unlikely" to harm patients.
The replacement of suspected faulty devices has now been almost completed, with "the vast majority" of the sleep devices back with patients and home care providers, Jakobs said.
"We are fully focused on the remediation of the affected ventilators," he said.
The recall hit the 132-year-old company hard and by January it announced it was slashing 10,000 jobs out of a total workforce of just under 80,000 employees around the globe.
To date Philips has cut 6,600 jobs out of the planned total set for 2025, the company said.
Philips has faced a US Department of Justice probe over the respirator issue and was negotiating with US authorities over a financial settlement.
It is also a defendant in several class action lawsuits in the United States and other litigation elsewhere.
While "uncertainties remain", Philips said it expected sales to grow in the mid-single-digits for the rest of the year.
The outlook, however, "excludes the impact" of ongoing litigation and the US investigation, it said.
Philips however seemed unable to temper investor concern over new orders, which declined by eight percent year-on-year.
The firm blamed lower figures on a high order intake last year and loss of orders from Russia in the wake of its full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
Its share price fell by around 4.5 percent in lunchtime trade on the Amsterdam stock exchange's blue chip AEX index, trading at around 19.8 euros a share.
B.Khalifa--SF-PST