-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
Rescuers save 86 migrants from boat near Canary Isles
Spain's coastguard said Monday it rescued 86 migrants from sub-Saharan Africa from a boat near the Canary Islands that had been spotted earlier in the day by a rescue plane.
The Salvamento Maritimo coastguard service said they had found the boat with six females and 80 males on board as rescuers were searching for a missing migrant boat that had "left Senegal with around 200 people on board".
It did not indicate the ages of those rescued.
When a rescue plane spotted the vessel about 71 nautical miles south of Gran Canaria, it was initially thought to have "around 200 people on board", a spokeswoman said.
"We can't be 100 percent sure but it's likely it is the same boat," she said.
But the coastguard later acknowledged that the estimate by the plane's crew was incorrect.
"It is difficult to determine the number of people from the air," she later told AFP, saying those rescued were being taken to Arguineguin port on Gran Canaria where they would arrive around 1900 GMT.
The situation remains confused, however, and the spokeswoman told AFP she was not able to say whether there was another boat adrift in the same area with 200 people on board.
Helena Maleno, head of Spanish NGO Caminando Fronteras which helps migrant boats in distress, said that a vessel had left the southern Senegalese town of "Kafountine on June 27 with approximately 200 people on board".
"There are many minors on board," she said in an audio message, explaining the families "told us about the disappearance of the boat saying they had had no news for several days".
Kafountine is a fishing village in the southern part of Senegal, which lies at least 1,700 kilometres (over 1,000 miles) south of Spain's Canary Islands.
She said the NGO knew of two other boats also missing after leaving Senegal.
"Two of them set sail from Mbour in Senegal, one carrying between 50 and 60 people and the other, 65 people," she said, referring to a town about 75 kilometres south of the capital Dakar.
- An easy departure point -
Senegal, and more specifically the Kafountine region, is a regular departure point for migrants seeking to reach Europe.
For them, the nearest entry point is Spain's Canary Islands, although Spain itself is often only a stopover as the migrants make their way to other EU countries.
David Diatta, the mayor of Kafountine, told AFP some migrants had recently left the village but that he'd not heard any news about them.
"They are Senegalese, Gambians, Guineans, Sierra Leoneans... Most of the time, they are foreigners," he said.
He said people chose to leave from Kafountine because it is surrounded by islands and inlets which provide hiding places for people smugglers and migrants.
"As a local authority, we have tried to raise awareness, but the state's silence is regrettable -- there are very few gendarmes on the ground (to stop them) and we lack the resources," he said.
In June 2022, a pirogue -- a long wooden vessel -- with migrants on board caught fire in the area, leaving 15 dead and 20 injured.
"People from outside the area organise their departure as they wish, and it's only after the event that we find out about it," said Abdoulaye Demba, head coordinator of the local fishing council.
He said none of the migrants' families approach him directly for help because they know it is against the law.
- A highly dangerous journey -
The Atlantic route to the Canaries is particularly dangerous due to the strong currents, with migrants travelling in overloaded boats, which are often unseaworthy, and without enough drinking water.
Many boats leave from ports in Morocco, Western Sahara or Mauritania but they also come from countries further south such as Senegal.
According to figures released by Caminando last week, a total of 778 people died while trying to reach Spain's Canary Islands by boat in the first half of 2023.
Figures from the International Organization for Migration point to 126 dead or missing over the same period.
Spain has long been a key entry point for migrants seeking a better life in Europe, but the number of Atlantic crossings began surging in late 2019 after increased patrols along Europe's southern coast dramatically reduced Mediterranean crossings.
In the first six months of this year, a total of 7,213 migrants reached the Canary Islands by boat. That figure is nearly 20 percent lower than the 8,853 that arrived in the same period a year earlier, interior ministry figures show.
burs-hmw/kjm
E.AbuRizq--SF-PST