-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
Fire in Italy retirement home kills six
A fire at a retirement home in Milan on Friday killed six people, firefighters said, with some 80 other residents hospitalised suffering from smoke inhalation.
The three-storey building was reportedly housing 167 people when the fire started in the early morning hours.
"It was a hellish scene," local resident Lucia, who can see the home from her house, told reporters.
"We saw old people protecting their faces with wet rags," and windows had been cracking with the heat, she said.
The cause of the blaze was not yet known, the fire brigade said.
Over 10 ambulances, various fire trucks and a silver mortuary van attended the scene in the south of the Italian city.
"Six people killed, numerous (others) suffering from smoke inhalation hospitalised. Dozens of people saved by firefighters who immediately evacuated the building," the fire brigade said on Twitter.
Some 80 people were rushed to hospital, two of whom were fighting for their lives, Milan's fire chief Nicola Micele said.
Fifteen others were in a serious condition.
Five of the victims were women aged between 69 and 87 years old, while the sixth was a 73-year-old man, media reports said.
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni tweeted her "sincere condolences to the families of the victims and a speedy recovery" for those in hospital.
- Carried to safety -
Milan Mayor Giuseppe Sala said the fire "started in one room housing two female residents", both of whom were killed by the flames.
"It did not spread, not even to the neighbouring rooms, but the smoke is just as deadly and the four other victims died of smoke inhalation".
"It could have been worse, but six victims is a very heavy toll", he said.
National firefighters spokesman Luca Cari told AFP that the most credible hypothesis currently for how the fire began was a short circuit.
A member of staff sounded the alarm at 1:20 am (2320 GMT Thursday) after seeing smoke, officials said.
"Four teams of firefighters were immediately dispatched. They found themselves faced with very low visibility in a corridor inside one part of the building, and flames in one room".
"They focused on putting out the flames, then evacuating the guests.
"It was a particularly complicated evacuation both because of the smoke and because some of the guests were not able to walk".
Some of the residents were evacuated "by being carried out, almost one and at time," Sala said.
They were given identifying bracelets and thermal emergency blankets.
The council was working to quickly re-house people in other suitable retirement homes.
The privately-run "Casa per Coniugi" caters to elderly people who are not self-sufficient but do not need hospital care.
Like many such homes, it was hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic, with 53 residents reported to have died with the virus by April 2020, the daily Corriere della Sera said.
N.Awad--SF-PST