-
Joao Pedro extends Chelsea stay with new long-term deal
-
Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Yamaguchi to face An in hunt for fourth badminton world crown
-
Carrick keeps calm despite Man Utd misery, Sage beaten in first game as Palace boss
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch GP
-
France to deliver interceptor missiles to Ukraine after new Russian strikes
-
Norris clinches pole for Dutch Grand Prix
-
Serena Williams and Alcaraz unite in US Open mixed doubles
-
Pope Leo calls for courage in Rimini visit after stop in tiny San Marino
-
Macron pledges air defence as 13 killed in Russia, Ukraine strikes
-
Man Utd must learn from 'frustrating' defeat at Hull: Carrick
-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
Staff strike scraps flights at Geneva airport
A strike paralysed flights at Geneva airport for several hours on Friday, causing huge lines at the start of the busy summer travel season.
Around 60 flights were cancelled after staff walked off the job from 6:00 am (0800 GMT) over a wage dispute.
Takeoffs and landings resumed some four hours later as personnel who guide planes on the tarmac returned to work, though unionised workers voted to remain on strike until Saturday.
"Traffic has resumed but it will be slower than usual," Geneva airport spokesman Ignace Jeannerat told AFP.
Dozens of workers picketed in front of the airport's main entrance.
Passengers stood in massive lines inside and outside Switzerland's second biggest airport, which is a key hub for budget carrier EasyJet.
A number of international flights from North America and the Middle East had been delayed in order to arrive after the initial strike was due to end, according to a tweet by the airport on Friday.
The strike was called after the airport's board approved on Thursday a new wage policy contested by staff.
Many police and security staff were posted in front of the terminal and only passengers for flights scheduled for after the initial strike period had been allowed inside.
- 'Last option' -
It is the first-ever strike by staff directly employed by the airport, as opposed to subcontractors.
"In Switzerland strikes are very rare" as they may be called only after a process of consultations, said Claire Pellegrin, head of the airport staff commission.
"It's the last option that we never thought we'd get to," she added.
A trade unionist said it was difficult to understand how they had arrived at the impasse.
"The airport is a profitable business which enjoys a monopoly and is attacking the conditions of its staff," said Pierre-Yves Maillard, head of the Swiss Trade Union Confederation (USS), who turned out to support the strikers.
The chairman of the board of Geneva airport, Pierre Bernheim, said a strike "is always a sad moment" but that the company could not continue with the same wage policy.
Nearly 6.8 million passengers used the Geneva airport between January and May, according to official statistics.
The aviation industry has been keen to avoid a repeat of the chaos seen at European airports last year.
The sector struggled to cope with a surge in travel as it was severely understaffed after laying off thousands during the Covid pandemic.
Passengers faced huge lines, misplaced luggage and flight delays.
Other European airports and airlines have also faced strikes by staff.
L.Hussein--SF-PST