-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
ECB recommends £500,000 fine for Yorkshire after cricket racism scandal
England cricket chiefs have recommended that Yorkshire be fined £500,000 ($638,000) and given hefty points deductions over their handling of the Azeem Rafiq racism scandal.
Pakistan-born bowler Rafiq, 32, went public with allegations of racism and bullying in September 2020, related to his two spells at the English county.
The sanctioning recommendations were made to an independent Cricket Discipline Commission (CDC) panel in London on Tuesday.
Yorkshire admitted to four charges in February related to the mishandling of Rafiq's case.
Six former Yorkshire players were fined last month by the CDC after being found guilty of using racist language.
Former England captain Michael Vaughan was cleared of using racist language "on the balance of probabilities".
Governing body the England and Wales Cricket Board suggested £350,000 should be suspended for three years while the remaining £150,000 should be payable in instalments between January and June 2024.
Yorkshire said last week they were still having "positive conversations" around the long-term financial future of the club.
ECB lawyer Jane Mulcahy said the recommendations took into account the finances of Yorkshire and it would be "wholly unproductive" to put the club out of business, insisting the ECB "is not trying to do such a thing".
The ECB said the "seriousness of the admissions" required sporting sanctions and proposed a 48 to 72 points deduction in the 2023 County Championship and deductions in white-ball competitions.
Yorkshire's response to the recommendations were presented by lawyer Daniel Stilitz, who spoke of the "deeply regrettable chapter" in the club's history, once again offering their apologies to Rafiq.
He said Yorkshire had already "suffered detriment" because of the events, asking for that to be taken into account in any sanctions passed down and saying "If ever a sinner has repented, it is Yorkshire Cricket Club".
Stilitz said 11 sponsors had withdrawn from the club and that financial issues had to be addressed to prevent the club from going into administration.
He asked for punishments handed down to be suspended and said any sanctions imposed would not penalise those responsible.
M.AbuKhalil--SF-PST