-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Dutch court says Angola's dos Santos diverted millions
A Dutch court has ruled that Isabel dos Santos, the daughter of Angola's late former president, illegally diverted 52 million euros from the southwestern African nation's state oil company.
Dos Santos funnelled the cash into a firm she owned with her husband, said the finding by the Amsterdam-based Enterprise Chamber, which was dated June 15 but made public on Thursday.
It is the latest in a series of judgements against dos Santos, once Africa's richest woman.
Dos Santos is accused of syphoning billions of dollars from state companies during her father Jose Eduardo dos Santos' nearly 40-year rule. Dos Santos senior died last year in July.
"Numerous (legal) persons have cooperated in this disgraceful state of affairs, which led to... (dos Santos) fraudulently obtaining 52.6 million euros in resources," a court-appointed investigator said in the complex judgement.
Dos Santos diverted the money through a dividend payment, said the Enterprise Chamber, a special part of Amsterdam's appeals court that deals with corporate matters.
"The dividend payment forms part of a pattern of action," by Exem Energy BV, a company which the justices ruled was owned by dos Santos and her late husband and which they said aimed at having dos Santos benefit "on a large scale at the expense of Sonangol."
Dos Santos, 50, had consistently denied any wrongdoing and denounced all accusations as a politically motivated witch hunt.
Last year she said a move by Angolan public prosecutor Helder Pitta Gros to file an international arrest warrant against her amounted to "political persecution" directed at her by Angola's incumbent President Joao Lourenco.
- 'Deliberately backdated' -
The latest case against Angola's embattled ex-first daughter springs from an investigation ordered by the Dutch court in 2020 into the dealings of the Netherlands-based offshore company Esperaza Holdings BV.
In 2006, Exem allegedly illegally obtained a 40 percent share in Esperaza, while Sonangol, Angola's oil company, retained a 60 percent majority stake.
Dos Santos however gave no explanation for the uncommercial terms of this deal, other than being the daughter of the former president, the court said.
Justices said dos Santos then used an agreement in the 2006 deal to justify a 52.6-million-euro dividend payout from Esperaza to Exem in mid-November 2017 -- when dos Santos got wind that she may be axed as chairwoman of Sonangol's board.
The payout needed Sonangol's shareholder approval, taken at a general meeting, but dos Santos herself in turn signed the Sonangol shareholders' resolution.
Dutch justices however said dos Santos and her associates on the Sonangol board had already been axed hours before by president Lourenco, who has promised a hard-line stance against graft.
Dos Santos and her associates then illegally backdated the Sonangol resolutions to make it appear that it was signed while they were still on the board, the justices said.
"The decisions have been deliberately backdated to conceal the fact" that they were taken while dos Santos and another board director were not authorised to act for Sonangol, they said.
- Corruption crackdown -
Lourenco has vowed to crack down on corruption since dos Santos retired in 2017, removing his predecessor's cronies from key positions and probing the former regime for alleged graft.
He has targeted several members of the dos Santos family, including Isabel and her younger brother Jose Filomeno dos Santos, sentenced to five years in prison for diverting oil revenues last year.
Isabel is the eldest daughter of Angola's ex-president, accused of ruling the country with an iron fist, leaving a legacy of poverty and nepotism.
The British-educated billionaire businesswoman has faced several allegations of plundering the public purse and funnelling the money abroad.
A.AlHaj--SF-PST