-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
Berlin, Intel strike controversial chip plant subsidy deal
Berlin agreed Monday to grant US chip giant Intel subsidies totalling almost a third of the cost of a 30-billion-euro ($32.7-billion) German plant in a controversial decision following a months-long row.
Government sources told AFP that Berlin would provide 9.9 billion euros to support the project in the eastern city of Magdeburg, up from a figure of 6.8 billion originally agreed.
Intel unveiled the mammoth project, the centrepiece of a European investment drive, in March last year.
The EU is seeking to boost production of semiconductors, used in everything from fighter jets to smartphones, and reduce reliance on Asia after pandemic-induced shortages hit some industries, and Russia's war on Ukraine brought home the risks of over-dependency.
Construction work on the Intel project was due to begin in the first half of this year but it stalled after the Ukraine war sent inflation soaring.
German officials and the company were then locked in talks for months, but both sides finally signed a deal Monday, which included the increased subsidies.
The project, now projected to cost a total of 30 billion euros, had originally been expected to cost 17 billion, the government sources said.
Chancellor Olaf Scholz, at a signing ceremony with Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger, hailed the agreement as "the single largest foreign direct investment in German history".
It represents "an important step for Germany as a high-tech production location -- and for our resilience," he said.
- 'Unbelievable' subsidies -
Gelsinger said the project would help forge a "balanced and resilient supply chain for Europe".
The project will involve two semiconductor manufacturing sites, with the first to enter production in four to five years.
It is expected to create 3,000 permanent high-tech jobs at Intel, and tens of thousands of additional jobs across the industry ecosystem, the company said.
Under the new agreement, Intel will deploy more advanced technology at the sites than originally planned.
The huge state support has proved controversial in Germany, however, with newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitsung criticising the "unbelievable amount of subsidies".
"Of the planned total investment of 30 billion euros, almost ten billion, or one third, will come from the taxpayer," it said in a commentary.
"The state subsidises every new job with one million euros."
Clemens Fuest, who heads economic institute Ifo, also called the subsidy "questionable".
Delivery risks are part and parcel of business life, and 10 billion is a very high premium to pay as an "insurance" to ensure supply, he said.
Asked earlier this year about delays to the project, Intel had cited growing geopolitical challenges, declining semiconductor demand and rising costs, from construction materials to energy.
The German plant is the centrepiece of a sweeping European investment push by Intel totalling tens of billions of euros and encompassing the entire chip production process, from the research to manufacturing and packaging.
Last week, the firm -- which dominates the market for PC chips -- announced it will invest up to $4.6 billion to build a new site in Poland, creating around 2,000 jobs.
With its "Chips Act", the EU is aiming to double the bloc's share of global semiconductor production to 20 percent by 2030, and mobilise more than 43 billion euros in public and private investments.
It also seeking to counter huge subsidies on offer in the United States, which is also trying to boost domestic chip production.
T.Samara--SF-PST