-
DR Congo capital wary of Ebola nightmare
-
Yamaguchi on course for fourth badminton world crown
-
Swedish police name 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack
-
Man Utd humiliated by Hull in dismal start to Premier League season
-
South Korea sends first container ship through Arctic route
-
Anthropic market debut could break SpaceX IPO record: media
-
Trescothick eager to keep England job despite Hussey approach
-
Pope's 'couturier of the sacred' fueled by faith
-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
New clashes on Russian side of Ukraine border: Russian governor
The governor of Russia's Belgorod region on the border with Ukraine said on Sunday that fighting was ongoing on his side of the frontier and acknowledged pro-Ukrainian forces had taken Russians prisoner during cross-border clashes.
The governor, Vyacheslav Gladkov, said he was ready for talks to retrieve "our guys" from the saboteur fighters who say they have taken Russian soldiers prisoner in the Belgorod region.
It was the first time a Russian official had admitted to the capture of prisoners on Moscow's territory by pro-Ukraine forces during the more than 15 months of conflict.
The pro-Kyiv groups made up of Russians, the Russian Volunteer Corps and the Legion for Freedom of Russia, had earlier called on the Belgorod governor to meet fighters and retrieve captive soldiers.
"The only thing stopping me from negotiating with them is our guys that are in their hands, maybe they are already dead," Gladkov said.
He said fighting was ongoing in the border village of Novaya Tavolzhanka.
Ukraine has intensively shelled Russian settlements on the border this week, forcing thousands to flee to the regional hub of Belgorod.
"A sabotage group came in, there is combat in Novaya Tavolzhanka," Gladkov said.
"I hope they will all be destroyed."
Russia's army subsequently claimed to have repelled a "sabotage group of Ukrainian terrorists" seeking to cross the frontier near to the settlement.
"The enemy was hit by artillery. The enemy scattered and retreated," it said in a statement.
Fighting around Novaya Tavolzhanka follows last month's dramatic armed incursion from Ukraine into the Belgorod region which forced Moscow to use its artillery and air force on home soil.
The border breach was claimed by anti-Kremlin nationalists.
Gladkov earlier asked residents of the Shebekino border district to leave their homes amid the shelling.
Earlier, the nationalist groups published a video addressing the governor. It claimed to show three "prisoners" who their captors called "simple soldiers sent by your leadership to this war". One appeared to have been injured and was on a drip on a hospital bed.
They called on the governor to meet them in a church in Novaya Tavolzhanka on the Orthodox "Trinity" holiday.
- Russians fleeing border regions -
In Belgorod, AFP saw volunteers handing humanitarian aid to Russians fleeing border regions.
Ukraine has consistently not claimed responsibility for attacks on Russian soil, but presidential advisor Mykhaylo Podolyak said Sunday the situation in the border areas "should be viewed as the future of Russia".
The attacks on the Belgorod region come as Kyiv says it is preparing a major counteroffensive against Russian forces.
In a video published Sunday, the Ukrainian army appeared to call on soldiers to stay silent about the plans and said there will be no announcement on the start of the long-awaited offensive.
- Child's body recovered -
Outside the Ukrainian city of Dnipro, 300 kilometres southwest of Belgorod, the body of a two-year-old girl was pulled from the rubble left by a Russian strike on a residential area.
Authorities said the mother of the girl who was identified as Yelyzaveta Pryhodka remained in intensive care.
The girl's father, who recovered her body according to an official, was at work when the building was hit.
Officials said 22 people were wounded in the strike.
Five other children were in hospital after the strike, with three boys in a serious condition, they added.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said in a tweet on Sunday that 500 children had died since the start of the conflict while cautioning the exact number of children injured would be difficult to determine.
"Many of them could have become famous scholars, artists, sports champions, contributing to Ukraine's history. They fell victim to the enemy's missiles and hate," he tweeted.
Moscow has this week intensified its aerial assaults on Ukraine.
Kyiv also said a Russian strike had hit an airfield in central Ukraine overnight, which Moscow appeared to confirm on Sunday, saying it had struck military air bases with long-range weapons.
Russia also unleashed a series of air assaults on Kyiv during the past week, including rare daytime strikes.
J.AbuHassan--SF-PST