-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
France charges five military personnel over 2021 Channel migrant boat tragedy
French prosecutors Thursday charged five military personnel over failing to come to the resue of dozens of people aboard a stricken migrant boat crossing the Channel to Britain in 2021, a judicial source said.
The sinking of the small boat in the Channel in November 2021 left 27 migrants dead, mainly Iraqi Kurds aged between seven and 46, the worst such disaster in recent times.
Several sources close to the case had said earlier that the authorities had in recent days detained nine people, including several military personnel deployed as coastguards in northern France, in the probe into the tragedy.
One source familiar with the matter said the five ultimately charged after hours of questioning included three women and two men on duty at the Channel rescue centre at the time.
They were charged with failing to assist persons in danger, said the judicial source who asked not to be named. The five remain free and it is extremely unusual for serving military personnel to be subject to any kind of judicial control.
- 'Finally shedding light' -
The probe in France is focusing on allegations that French service personnel on duty in the north of the country failed to respond properly to the distress calls of those on board.
In legal documents seen by AFP, French authorities are accused of ignoring calls made by the stricken migrants for help some 15 times.
Le Monde newspaper in November published revelations based on documents contained in the French legal investigation, saying passengers first contacted France's Channel rescue centre at 1:48 am on November 24 to say their vessel was deflating and its engine had stopped.
They sent their locations via WhatsApp around 15 minutes later.
“We can only welcome the fact that things are progressing from a criminal point of view, that we are finally shedding light on this case and that the words of the victims and the relatives of the victims can finally be heard at a judicial level," responded Flore Judet, spokesperson for Utopia 56, an association helping migrants.
According to one transcript of a telephone conversation seen by AFP, a migrant told the French coastguard on the phone: "Please help! (...) I'm in the water!" "Yes -- but you are in English waters," replied the coastguard.
"No, not English waters! French waters! Please can you come quickly!" the voice insisted, before the conversation was cut off.
France has already charged 10 suspected people-smugglers, mainly Afghans, over the tragedy. The deaths of the migrants ratcheted up tensions between Paris and London but people are still continuing to make the dangerous crossing.
cor-gd-alh-edy-sjw/pvh
F.AbuZaid--SF-PST