-
Indonesia deploys hundreds of soldiers to tackle Borneo fires
-
Duplantis locked in on 'grinding' for big bars
-
The last lap: Fans, drivers bid fond farewell to Dutch GP
-
Stokes says decision to leave Headingley off Ashes roster 'shambolic'
-
Silesia Diamond League: four events to watch
-
New arrival Rodri to miss Elche opener: Barca's Flick
-
Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race, Antonelli fourth
-
Atletico's Alvarez to return against Villarreal: Simeone
-
Mercedes driver George Russell wins Dutch GP sprint race
-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
'Could be your city': a Hiroshima atomic bomb survivor's warning
On August 6, 1945, four-year-old Masao Ito was riding a tricycle near his home in Hiroshima when a bomb fell from the sky and changed his life forever.
He survived the US nuclear attack and made it home to his mother, but the horror was just beginning.
His father, at work closer to the centre of the western Japanese city, searched the post-apocalyptic landscape for Ito's 12-year-old brother.
When he found the boy, he was so badly burned that Ito's parents refused to let their four-year-old see his brother, who died several days later at home.
Ito's 10-year-old sister had been at a relative's house, which was destroyed without a trace.
"People escaping the hypocentre headed towards the outskirts, where our house was. They had terrible burns and could hardly walk," the 82-year-old told AFP.
His parents invited the survivors to rest in their home. "But they died, one after another."
In the August heat, the bodies had to be moved, but there was no cemetery to take them to.
"They were moved to an open space, not even in caskets but placed one on top of another. Kerosene was poured over them to burn them," Ito said.
The scene is one he doesn't talk about often, but it remains visceral more than seven decades later.
"It was just horrible, a horrible smell," he said.
"It's a scene I really wish I could forget."
- 'Better not to have them' -
A retired bank employee, Ito has worked for almost two decades as a volunteer guide for the peace memorials and museum in Hiroshima, and as an anti-nuclear campaigner.
He is one of a dwindling number of hibakusha, survivors of the atomic bombings in the last year of World War II that killed around 140,000 people in Hiroshima and 74,000 in Nagasaki.
This week, leaders of the G7 developed economies will meet in Hiroshima, and are expected to visit the Peace Memorial Park and speak to hibakusha.
He said he would warn them: "If you have nuclear weapons, you may be tempted to use them, and accidents can happen."
"It's simply better not to have them," added Ito, who wears large glasses and a pin depicting a bent missile with an anti-nuclear symbol over it.
He acknowledges that a world without nuclear weapons might seem impossibly idealistic, particularly as Russia makes thinly veiled threats about using the weapons, and North Korea continues missile tests.
But he believes holding the summit in Hiroshima can send world leaders a powerful message.
"As long as there are nuclear weapons in the world, there is a possibility that your city could become like Hiroshima."
"Is that really something you are willing to accept?"
- 'It's your turn now' -
Ito's childhood was shattered by the bomb: his father died of radiation poisoning, and the family business collapsed into bankruptcy.
He and his mother fled Hiroshima to escape their debts, and he contracted tuberculosis, spending over a year in a sanitorium, where he received a US care package containing medicine and a Bible.
He read it, but when he encountered the line beseeching Christians to "love your enemies", he was so angry he threw the book against a wall.
"My enemy was the Americans... Why in the world should I love America?" he recalled thinking.
Ito would later convert to Christianity but his anger did not fade.
When he began offering peace tours, he felt discomfort with the inscription on the Hiroshima cenotaph: "Let all the souls here rest in peace, for we shall not repeat the evil."
"I felt I should promise to avenge the souls of those who died so they could find peace."
With time though, and especially as he met Americans who were devastated by what they learned in Hiroshima, his feelings changed and he "started to understand finally" what the Bible phrase meant.
His tour groups include school children, who he feels have a particularly important role.
"I can't continue forever. I tell students, it's your turn now to... achieve a world free of nuclear weapons."
J.AbuHassan--SF-PST