-
Dozens of civilians killed, kidnapped as jihadists clash in Nigeria
-
Ukraine strikes kill two children after Russia's deadly mall attack
-
Former envoys urge joint French, UK action on Palestinian territories
-
Pope visits San Marino, before addressing Italian political gathering
-
Australia lead by 101 in 2nd Bangladesh Test as 18 wickets fall on day one
-
Trump tariffs heap up as Canada tries to curb US reliance
-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
New rules spur migrants to seek legal path to US
With tough new asylum rules in place, many migrants on the US-Mexico border were seeking legal routes Saturday to enter the United States, despite warnings of a chaotic surge in crossings.
Gustavo Rodriguez, who fled Venezuela after deserting the military, was among those who saw official channels as offering the best chance of being allowed to stay on US soil.
"I want to enter legally," he told AFP in Matamoros, one of several Mexican cities along the border where thousands of migrants fleeing poverty, crime or persecution are gathered.
US President Joe Biden's right-wing opponents predicted a rush across the border after pandemic-era restrictions allowing for immediate expulsion ended at midnight Thursday.
So far the surge failed to materialize, though thousands of migrants had tried to enter the United States in the days leading up to the rule changes.
That was because anyone crossing the border illegally now faces a five-year ban on applying for legal entry as well as possible criminal charges.
Asylum seekers are supposed to set up an interview appointment through a smartphone application called CBP One or processing centers the US plans in Colombia, Guatemala and other countries.
But migrants say using the app is a lottery, despite Washington's promise to increase the number of appointments available each day to 1,000.
Jose Manuel Tovar was one of the lucky ones -- after four months of trying he finally got an appointment.
"I cried. My family, all my colleagues were crying with joy," the Venezuelan told AFP.
- Political controversy -
The policy shift has been contentious, with Biden's supporters on the left saying the new rules are too strict while opponents on the right have claimed, without evidence, that he is "opening the borders."
Mexico said Friday that the number of US-bound migrants crossing its territory was ebbing and the situation at the frontier was calm.
"The flux is dropping today. We have not had confrontations or situations of violence on the border," Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard told reporters.
Around 26,500 migrants were estimated to be waiting in the main Mexican cities along the frontier, according to Mexico.
The national immigration agency ordered its offices to stop issuing documents authorizing migrants to transit through Mexico, authorities announced.
Guatemala said that it was bracing for a major humanitarian situation there because it would have to offer shelter to migrants in transit applying for US asylum.
Erika Guevara Rosas, Americas director at rights group Amnesty International, said the US government was "outsourcing its border enforcement to Mexico and now Colombia and Guatemala, but it's not willing to take responsibility for the chaos its policies have created."
The legal channels available to migrants also include family reunification programs and humanitarian permits for Venezuelans, Haitians, Nicaraguans and Cubans.
In any of these cases, however, migrants must process their claims before arriving at ports of entry.
There are a few exceptions, such as if they were denied asylum in a transit country, have been unable to use the CBP One app, or in the case of unaccompanied children.
A particular fear of human rights campaigners is that the situation will continue to be exploited by people smugglers who have turned illegal migration into a multimillion-dollar business.
"Some of the most cruel solutions produce disorder and empower people smugglers," said David Miliband, president of the International Rescue Committee (IRC).
"The IRC is convinced that there is a practical, safe and orderly way through the current situation, grounded in international experience," he added.
Despite the tough deterrents, Randy Vargas was doubtful that his fellow Venezuelans would stop arriving at the US-Mexico frontier.
"We're talking about thousands of Venezuelans just on the border and thousands more coming," he told AFP in Ciudad Juarez, south of El Paso, Texas.
"What are they going to do with them?... Migrants will never be stopped," he said.
B.Mahmoud--SF-PST