-
'Aura' battles leap from social media to Latin America streets
-
Australia lose three wickets after skittling Bangladesh for 64
-
US, Canada fail to reach trade pact to avert Trump tariffs
-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
Cannes festival nominee dismisses controversy over under-age sex scene
French director Catherine Corsini dismissed claims about on-set harassment and the presence of a child in a sex scene on Tuesday following criticism over her inclusion in the Cannes Film Festival.
In a statement, Corsini and her producer Elisabeth Perez addressed criticisms that a 15-year-old actress was used in a sex scene in their new film, "The Return", which is competing at next month's festival.
"Stop the fantasies! The teenagers were dressed and only their faces were filmed in the scene. There was no inappropriate touching or contact between them," they said.
The actress herself, Esther Gohourou, was included in the statement, saying she had been repeatedly offered a double or an intimacy coach and refused.
"We talked a lot before doing the scene, we knew what we were going to shoot, that we would only see the faces and that we would not have to touch each other for real," she said.
However, the producers recognised that they failed to alert French film authorities about the scene beforehand, and that this "administrative failure" led to a loss of state funding.
Paris prosecutors say a complaint was received in November and is being investigated.
The filmmakers also dismissed complaints of abusive behaviour by Corsini that had been reported in the press, saying no charges had been brought against her.
There had been criticism from a union and French film professionals over the festival's late decision to include "The Return", which was held back until Monday while the organisers investigated the complaints.
"It is fortunate that the biggest festival in the world has taken the time to thoroughly verify the truth," the filmmakers said. "Any other decision would have set a serious precedent for auteur cinema and for the event itself."
Corsini's inclusion extends the record number of women competing for the top prize Palme d'Or to seven (out of 21 entries). The previous record of five was set last year.
This year's festival, running May 16-27, features premieres for the new Indiana Jones and Pixar movies, as well as the latest from Martin Scorsese, "Killers of the Flower Moon".
Opening the festival is Johnny Depp's comeback film, "Jeanne du Barry", whose French director Maiwenn is under investigation for allegedly assaulting a journalist.
K.AbuDahab--SF-PST