-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
Sunak seeks to boost UK business links amid crisis
British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak sought to repair the government's tarnished economic record Monday, reaching out to the business community rocked by a scandal engulfing the Confederation of British Industry.
Sunak's Conservatives and the main opposition Labour party are jockeying for position ahead of a general election expected next year.
The Tories, traditionally regarded as the party of business, have lost ground in a cost-of-living crisis as inflation stays high -- and after former premier Liz Truss sparked markets chaos with unfunded tax cuts last year.
"We are going to keep engaging to make (Britain) the most pro-business, pro-growth country in the world," Sunak said in an address that was broadcast on social networking site LinkedIn.
Sunak, who was UK finance minister before leading the country, said his "Business Connect" platform would enable companies to engage directly with his administration.
The news comes as a small number of high-profile firms withdrew from the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) on Friday after the nation's business lobby was shaken by fresh rape allegations.
Current finance minister Jeremy Hunt, addressing Monday's gathering of chief executives and other business heads, said the government was "very concerned about the allegations of what's happened at the CBI.
"They are very, very serious."
He added: "It is not for us to decide who business wants to engage with but we are not going to wait for a reincarnation of the CBI or whoever, we want to engage the whole time, every week, every day, with business."
- 'Economic boost' -
Business Connect will look to boost economic growth, Sunak insisted Monday before an audience of more than 200 high-profile business figures.
The UK remains plagued by double-digit inflation, prompting calls from many employers for the government to do more to stimulate economic output.
Hospitality, retail and tourism chiefs are calling for Sunak to reinstate tax-free shopping for tourists, a perk ended by Brexit.
Monday's event focused partly on growth sectors including advanced manufacturing, life sciences and technology.
"Business Connect provides the next fantastic opportunity to demonstrate how we are growing the economy," insisted Sunak.
However, Labour slammed the announcement and accused the government of mismanaging the economy.
"After 13 years, the pattern of Tory economic failure is grinding on," said finance spokesman Pat McFadden.
"Families in Britain are being harder hit by price rises than many comparable economies."
The Conservatives have been in power since 2010, including an initial five years in coalition with the Liberal Democrats.
They won power following the global financial crisis and quickly introduced austerity measures aimed at stabilising the UK economy.
But the Tories massively loosened the purse strings a decade later as Covid struck, spending vast sums on saving businesses and jobs during economically-painful lockdowns.
Monday's initiative comes as the business community reels from recent events at the CBI, which earlier this month sacked its director-general Tony Danker after allegations of misconduct.
Danker is not linked, however, to reports of two allegations of rape said to have involved staff at the lobby group.
The CBI on Friday decided to suspend all activity until an extraordinary general meeting in June.
W.Mansour--SF-PST