-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
Some ECB policymakers wanted rate hike pause: minutes
Some European Central Bank policymakers wanted to pause hiking interest rates at their last meeting in March due to financial market turmoil, minutes published Thursday revealed.
The account highlighted growing differences among rate setters and, while another increase looks certain at the ECB's upcoming May meeting, it is unclear how big it will be, analysts said.
The central bank in the 20-nation currency club has been aggressively hiking rates since last year as it seeks to bring runaway inflation under control.
But the collapse of three US regional lenders and the UBS takeover of embattled rival Credit Suisse in March triggered market turmoil, and calls for central banks to pause their monetary tightening.
Despite this, a "very large majority" at the March ECB meeting agreed with raising borrowing costs by 50 basis points, an increase that had already been announced at the institution's February meeting, the minutes showed.
They believed it was important to stick to the previously flagged plan and "instil confidence and avoid creating further uncertainty in financial markets", they said.
Inflation was still "far above" the ECB's two-percent target, the minutes noted.
However, "some members would have preferred not to increase the key rates until the financial market tensions had subsided," they showed.
"It was felt that the governing council's data-dependent approach would, in the current situation, suggest postponing the interest rate hike and waiting until uncertainty had declined," the minutes said.
The ECB has now raised interest rates by 350 basis points since July last year. Eurozone inflation has started slowing -- in March, it came in at 6.9 percent on an annual basis, down from 8.5 percent in February.
ING economist Carsten Brzeski said the minutes showed a growing debate over the impact of monetary policy, signalling a divide about the size of future hikes.
"At the current juncture, both a 25 basis point and a 50 basis point rate hike seem to be on the table" for the May 4 meeting, he said.
He said a "compromise" of downshifting to a quarter percentage point hike was likely -- but added a bigger increase could not be ruled out.
T.Samara--SF-PST