-
Bangladesh all out for 64 in 2nd Test after Starc masterclass
-
Sudan farms lie barren as El Nino leaves Nile banks dry
-
Odyssey effect: stars sell Greece to a new wave of US tourists
-
Arctic shipping a daunting prospect in hotly contested region
-
South Korea to send first container ship through Arctic route
-
In US, rare earths extracted from coal mine wastewater
-
Starc takes 5-11 to leave Bangladesh reeling in 2nd Test
-
Nakashima pounds Fritz, Bejlek beats Keys in Cincinnati upsets
-
Injured Rune withdraws from US Open
-
Canadian negotiator says 'more work to do' on US trade deal
-
Nakashima knocks out Fritz to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
'Solid' Clark takes solo lead at BMW Championship
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 16
-
Arteta hails Arsenal's desire after perfect start to title defence
-
TikTok to pay $400 mn settlement in US children's privacy case
-
Betis down Real Sociedad in La Liga opener
-
MLS fines Messi for striking an opponent
-
Mexican governor resumes job despite US drug charges
-
Gouiri double fires Marseille past Strasbourg in Ligue 1 opener
-
Arsenal rout Coventry to open Premier League season in style
-
Mavericks buy out Thompson, now reportedly bound for Heat
-
Giant-killer Bejlek overhauls Keys to reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
England v Pakistan first Test: Three talking points
-
Man Utd agree deal for Brighton midfielder Baleba: reports
-
US, Canada push to seal trade deal as deadline nears
-
Werro wins Lausanne 800m, well off world record pace
-
One dead, three wounded after sword attack at Swedish high school
-
China mulls bid to host 2028 UN climate talks: sources
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 15
-
Jones becomes third Englishman to join Inter this summer
-
US Supreme Court allows White House ballroom construction for now
-
Mexican governor wanted on US drug charges returns to job
-
Root hails emerging fast bowlers as England thrash Pakistan
-
Bolivia's Paz forced to fire economy minister in mid-crisis
-
Brazil's Lula urges tariffs resolution in call with Trump
-
A-Rod ups T-Wolves stake in $4.5bn ownership change
-
Ukraine says 'cynical' Russian strike on shopping centre killed 14
-
UK court orders Prince Harry, others to pay Daily Mail initial £9.5mn
-
Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures
-
'Grateful' ex-world champion Alaphilippe retires from cycling
-
Give LIV Golf 'one more shot,' says DeChambeau
-
US, Canada work to wrap up trade deal ahead of looming deadline
-
Duplantis hits the high notes for athletics anthem
-
Malaysia's JDT claim unbeaten run world record
-
Malaysia's JDT claims unbeaten run world record
-
At least 2 teens seriously wounded in sword attack at Swedish school
-
Bolivian economy minister fired after Congress vote
-
Popular forest near Paris to reopen after wildfire
-
Russell roars to Dutch GP sprint pole, Antonelli fifth
-
UN holds second informal poll of secretary-general candidates
Family planning in India: A woman's burden
Occasional screams sounded from the operating theatre in a rural Indian clinic as a heavily sedated woman named Kajal waited to have her tubes tied, long the country's preferred family planning method.
"The anaesthesia must not have kicked in," one healthcare worker said outside the facility in the northern village of Bhoodbaral, where a line of women in colourful headscarves waited to undergo the 50-minute procedure, which in India's stretched healthcare system can sometimes be risky.
India is set to become the world's most populous nation by mid-year, according to UN figures published Wednesday, overtaking China, where the population shrank last year for the first time since 1960.
The Indian government launched a nationwide family planning programme in 1952 -- long before societies around the world had even started to destigmatise birth control.
But in the decades that followed, as the pill and condoms became the go-to contraceptive methods for millions elsewhere, men in India were subjected in the 1970s to a brutal programme of forced sterilisation.
Since then the focus has shifted to women in India, with tubal ligation the preferred method of birth control.
There is a non-invasive vasectomy available for men but women like Kajal are often convinced by government healthcare workers to undergo the procedure, often with cash incentives of around $25.
Kajal, 25, said she and her husband Deepak decided she would undergo the operation since they can barely make ends meet with their three children.
"I thought it would make me weak," Deepak, a factory worker, said when asked why he chose not to have a vasectomy.
- Myths around virility -
Poonam Muttreja from Population Foundation of India said Deepak's fears about how a vasectomy -- a reversible, 10-minute procedure -- would affect him were common in what is still a "very patriarchal society".
"The most popular myth that exists among both men and women is that a man will lose his virility," Muttreja told AFP.
"This is a myth which has no science... but it is a belief. The belief is the reality for people," she said.
The health centre in Bhoodbaral sterilised more than 180 women compared with just six men from April 2022 to March this year.
"People have a misconception that no-scalpel vasectomy for males leads to impotence... This has become a taboo," said Dr Ashish Garg, the facility's medical superintendent.
- Dangerous -
Makeshift sterilisation clinics that perform tubal ligations on women are common in India, particularly in its vast rural belts where two-thirds of the population live.
Usually it is a safe procedure but in India this is not always the case.
Four women died and nine others were hospitalised last year after getting their tubes tied in the southern state of Telangana.
In 2014, at least 11 women died after sterilisations at a makeshift clinic in the central state of Chhattisgarh.
Muttreja said the government needs to do more to promote contraception.
She also said the solution to getting more men to have the operation was better education.
"It's a magical pill... Investing in health and education would have reduced the economic cost to the family and also to the nation," she said.
But Harbir Singh, a 64-year-old local resident, still believes that vasectomies rob men of their "strength" needed to work and put food on the table.
"The man has to go out and earn... The women make food and stay at home," he said.
"What will happen without the man?"
R.Shaban--SF-PST