-
'I'll adapt': First pregnant candidate navigates French presidential race
-
China, Indonesia hold talks on security, defence
-
Hong Kong convicts Tiananmen vigil activists of inciting subversion
-
Train to nowhere? South Korea's lonely push for peace with the North
-
The Hong Kong Tiananmen vigil activists convicted in national security trial
-
Australia's Hussey mulls role with England for Ashes series
-
Eel-powered Japan whizz-kid, 11, chases Asian Games history
-
Indian captain 'scapegoat' in Britain's Russia shadow fleet case, wife says
-
Asian markets extend rally as traders assess US Treasuries pledge
-
Rosenior seeks to match Paris FC's capital ambition as Ligue 1 returns
-
Barcelona enter new era as Flick targets La Liga hat-trick
-
Inter set for Serie A title defence as Milan get Amorim reboot
-
Pogacar favourite for Vuelta with Grand Tour treble in sight
-
'Greatest' Springboks face All Blacks in clash of juggernauts
-
Bangladesh coach Simmons wary of Australia backlash in second Test
-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
Chinese-owned British Steel says plans 260 job cuts
British Steel plans to cut up to 260 jobs in Britain after being hit by soaring energy costs, the Chinese-owned group announced Wednesday.
The company said its energy costs last year increased by £190 million ($230 million).
"Decisive action is required because of the unprecedented rise in operating costs, surging inflation and the need to improve environmental performance," it said in a statement.
British Steel said it plans to shut coke ovens at its Scunthorpe plant, northern England, which would help the group to also "build a green and sustainable future".
The announcement comes as British Steel, owned by Chinese group Jingye since 2020, seeks financial support from the UK government.
Responding to the planned job cuts, the Conservative government expressed its disappointment.
"It is very disappointing British Steel has chosen to take this step for its employees while our negotiations with the sector are ongoing," it said.
"We stand ready to support employees impacted... and will continue to work with the company to try and find a decarbonised, sustainable and competitive solution for the business and the wider sector, which plays a vital role in the UK economy."
Britain reportedly plans to offer grants totalling £600 million to help British Steel and Indian-owned Tata Steel UK replace highly polluting blast furnaces with less carbon-intensive technology.
"It's important we have the correct policies and frameworks in place to back our drive to become a clean, green and successful company and we're continuing to discuss this with the government," British Steel chief executive Xifeng Han said in the statement.
The company employs about 4,000 workers in the UK.
The Unite union said it would "fight to defend every job under threat".
"The proposed job losses are a direct result of" Jingye's "failure to make good on its commitment to make major investments in the plant", it said.
The union also denounced the "government's abject inability to produce a coherent industrial strategy to protect the UK's steel making capability".
D.AbuRida--SF-PST