-
The Hong Kong Tiananmen vigil activists convicted in national security trial
-
Australia's Hussey mulls role with England for Ashes series
-
Eel-powered Japan whizz-kid, 11, chases Asian Games history
-
Indian captain 'scapegoat' in Britain's Russia shadow fleet case, wife says
-
Asian markets extend rally as traders assess US Treasuries pledge
-
Rosenior seeks to match Paris FC's capital ambition as Ligue 1 returns
-
Barcelona enter new era as Flick targets La Liga hat-trick
-
Inter set for Serie A title defence as Milan get Amorim reboot
-
Pogacar favourite for Vuelta with Grand Tour treble in sight
-
'Greatest' Springboks face All Blacks in clash of juggernauts
-
Bangladesh coach Simmons wary of Australia backlash in second Test
-
William and Harry: Britain's warring royal brothers
-
Hong Kong Tiananmen activists to receive national security verdict
-
UN holds second informal poll for next leader
-
Who are the candidates vying to lead the UN?
-
In US mining hub, black lung rates soar
-
Swiatek into Cincinnati semis after Rybakina injury
-
Champions Arsenal embrace being 'hunted' as Premier League returns
-
University suspends academic behind Jason Arday plagiarism charges
-
World No.2 Rybakina retires from Cincinnati clash with Swiatek
-
Key European leaders demand Israel halt West Bank settlement project
-
'I heard you missed me': Melania Trump jokes about month out of spotlight
-
McIlroy bounces back to share BMW Championship lead
-
Amazon Prime Video to invest $2 bn in Latin America productions
-
Cobolli fueled by candy in sweet defeat of Paul
-
Panama Canal to reduce shipping over El Nino-fueled drought
-
Jailed Pakistan ex-PM Khan moved to hospital on court order: party
-
Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
-
Pogacar eyes 'missing' piece ahead of Vuelta return
-
'Green dilemma': China's solar boom hurt birds, says study
-
US, Canada 'very close' to trade deal, Ottawa says, as details emerge
-
Pegula hangs on to dispatch Anisimova, reach Cincinnati semi-finals
-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
Portugal ends 'golden visas' to rein in property speculation
Portugal is to end its practice of issuing "golden visas" to rich foreign investors, one of several measures announced by Prime Minister Antonio Costa on Thursday to tackle the lack of affordable housing.
The residence permits that go with the controversial visas will only be renewed if those who bought property in Portugal live there permanently, or rent it out to residents, said Costa.
The golden visas policy was introduced in 2012 when Portugal's economy was struggling and needed foreign capital. The measure, which has counterparts in several other European countries, has been tweaked several times since then.
But one effect of the policy was to push house prices up as foreign arrivals bought into the property market. The latest changes are designed to tackle that problem.
Over the last 10 years, rents have risen far more than the rate of inflation, Costa noted.
"Current prices are much too high for the Portuguese market," he added.
The measures announced by the socialist government Thursday are designed to increase the amount of available housing.
Between 2010 and 2022, housing prices in Portugal have shot up by 75 percent, according to Eurostat, the European Union's statistics agency. Rents over the same period rose 25 percent.
The government also noted that there were still 730,000 lodgings lying vacant or in a state of neglect across Portugal.
- Public consultation -
The authorities have already excluded the capital, Lisbon, and the port of Porto from the visa policy, in order to relieve pressure on property prices there.
Over the past 10 years, Portugal has brought in nearly 6.8 billion ($7.3 billion) euros in exchange for having issued 11,600 residence permits: each candidate had to pay at least 500,000 euros to buy property, invest at least a million euros, or create 10 jobs.
The new government package comes with a 900-million-euro budget, to help families manage their rising rent or mortgage payments and to provide tax incentives for the longterm rental market.
It will also limit the short-term rental market, including a freeze on any more licences for tourist accommodation in the main cities.
The measures will go out to public consultation, and the government aims to have adopted its policy by March 16.
T.Khatib--SF-PST