-
Ronaldinho returns in search of 'beautiful' 300th goal
-
US charges woman with IS-inspired plot to blow up New York State Capitol
-
US pushes allies, China to back Trump's economic war on Iran
-
What a record-breaking El Nino could mean for the world
-
Former NBA MVP Harden reportedly set to return to Cavaliers
-
Duplantis edges Karalis to win Lausanne Diamond League pole vault
-
Brook makes Pakistan pay for drop as England dominate first Test
-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
Welsh rugby chief quits over sexism allegations at WRU
Welsh Rugby Union chief executive Steve Phillips resigned on Sunday after allegations were made of a "toxic culture" at the governing body.
Phillips stepped down after a turbulent week for the sport in Wales following a BBC documentary that aired allegations of sexism, racism and homophobia at the WRU.
Former Olympic hurdler and Wales wing Nigel Walker was named as caretaker CEO, and he warned of an "existential crisis" for Welsh rugby.
"It is with a huge amount of regret that I have decided to hand in my resignation," Phillips said in a statement issued by the WRU.
"I have always had the best interests of Welsh rugby at the heart of my every action and thought, but have come to the conclusion that it is now time for someone else to lead the way."
In the documentary, shown last week, former general manager for women's rugby Charlotte Wathan spoke of how a male colleague had said in front of others that he wanted to "rape" her and that she had considered suicide due to what she described as a "toxic culture" of sexism at the WRU.
Another unnamed contributor said she was left contemplating suicide by her experiences of bullying and sexism at work.
"No allegations were made against Steve Phillips in the recent BBC programme and he was not accused of any wrongdoing," the WRU statement said.
The four Welsh regional clubs -- Cardiff, Dragons, Ospreys and Scarlets -- had backed calls for the 58-year-old Phillips and the WRU board to resign.
The Welsh Rugby Players Association said on Friday it was "appalled by the allegations" and called for the "strongest possible action".
- 'Existential crisis' -
Walker, who won 17 caps in the 1990s, was brought in by Phillips as performance director in July 2021 and now steps up to interim CEO.
"There is no doubt that Welsh rugby is facing an existential crisis," he said.
"This has been a wake-up call. Perhaps it is a call that has been overdue. The first step to any recovery is admitting the problem.
"We must now listen intently to what people from outside our organisation are telling us."
Walker said the organisation was "committed to equality, diversity and inclusion" but needed "to do better."
WRU chairman Ieuan Evans, who last week said Phillips had a role to play in the future of Welsh rugby, on Sunday praised him for taking the decision to step down.
"We've always been in constant contact and we came to the conclusion that we needed a fresh perspective and leadership to move forward," he told BBC Wales.
Evans, who has committed to an external taskforce to tackle the issues, has vowed to stay in his post.
The former Wales great, who only took over from Rob Butcher in November, said he needed to lead changes alongside Walker.
"We have already started the process with the Welsh government and Sport Wales in establishing an independent taskforce," he told BBC Wales.
"It's now for me as chair of the board and chair of the Welsh Rugby Union to... drive those changes."
Wales launch their Six Nations campaign at home to Ireland on Saturday.
A.AbuSaada--SF-PST