-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
Fears grow for French loans at Louvre Abu Dhabi as war rages
The escalating Middle East war has raised concerns over the safety of masterpieces on loan from France to the Louvre Abu Dhabi, sparking questions about the security of the famed museum's only foreign branch.
The museum, which opened in the United Arab Emirates in 2017, has so far escaped damage from nearly 1,800 Iranian drone and missile strikes launched since the conflict erupted on February 28.
The Louvre Abu Dhabi museum -- which remains open -- said the safety of its visitors, staff and collections remains its "top priority".
But concerns are mounting in France.
"The works must be removed," said Didier Selles -- who helped broker the original agreement between France and the UAE.
He told Telerama magazine the artefacts were at risk following the outbreak of war opposing Israel and the United States to Iran.
French journal La Tribune de l'Art echoed that alarm, saying: "The Louvre's works in Abu Dhabi must be secured!"
France's culture ministry sought to reassure critics, telling AFP that French authorities were "in close and regular contact with the authorities of the United Arab Emirates to ensure the protection of the works loaned by France to the Louvre Abu Dhabi".
- Repatriation risks -
Under the agreement with the UAE, France agreed to provide expertise, lend works of art and organise exhibitions, in return for one billion euros ($1.1 billion), including 400 million euros just licensing the use of the Louvre name.
The landmark deal was extended in 2021 by a further decade to 2047 for an additional 165 million euros.
France Museums, the international museum consultancy tasked with developing the Louvre Abu Dhabi said that in addition to the museum's 600-piece permanent collection, some 250 works are on loan from France, though it declined to provide further details.
Major French institutions, including the Louvre and the Orsay museum, declined to specify which works they had loaned to the Louvre Abu Dhabi when contacted by AFP.
On its website, the Louvre says it entrusts 100 artefacts to the Abu Dhabi museum each year.
A source with knowledge of the matter, told AFP on condition of anonymity there was no imminent danger, noting that the museum is designed to protect collections from both security threats and natural disasters.
Repatriation would carry its own set of dangers, the source added.
"Can we imagine an airlift to transport works in the midst of conflict?" they asked.
G.AbuHamad--SF-PST