-
Alcaraz to return for US Open title defence
-
MemeCore Arrives on Nasdaq Through $1 Billion Landmark Treasury Transaction
-
China's rapid solar expansion hurt bird diversity: study
-
First US deportees land in Liberia
-
President Paul Biya back in Cameroon after 73 days away
-
US, Canada resume talks to finalize trade deal as details emerge
-
Newcastle boss Jaissle unfazed by lack of respect
-
Europe heatwaves scorch 80 million with 40 C heat: AFP analysis
-
US Open purse to top $100 mn as Grand Slams form player council
-
Carrick insists Man Utd will make more signings after quiet transfer window
-
Hull aim to silence critics after unexpected promotion to Premier League
-
US warns allies, China to back economic war on Iran
-
Pakistan hit back against England after Cox and Root fifties
-
Manifesto defends Germany's iconic Bauhaus against 'populist attacks'
-
Walmart reports mixed results as gas prices drag on US sales growth
-
Kenya's Kipyegon ends season with hamstring injury
-
Wang downs Sindhu to break Indian hearts at badminton worlds
-
Nord Stream bomb suspect arrested while working on movie about attack: media
-
As Europe's rivers recede, shippers scramble to limit damage
-
German football fans plan widespread VAR protests
-
Alonso won't confirm Fernandez will remain at Chelsea after Man City link
-
Scorching summer triggers record rockfalls in Alps, scientist says
-
Milky Way's fastest star discovered spinning around black hole
-
Newly-crowned European champ Werro turns focus on 800m record
-
Kanye West planned concerts trigger frenzy in Russia
-
Hamilton 'fittest ever' as he chases eighth F1 title
-
Hungary music festival basks in post-Orban freedom
-
Stocks retreat as bond yield fears persist, oil rises
-
Vatican says 'serious concerns' over Israel-Lebanon deal implementation
-
ARKBRIDGE’s David Mali Highlights AI-Driven Risk Management at the Finance Magnates London Summit
-
Arteta confirms Arsenal want to sign defender after Konsa link
-
Zuckerberg buys Gothic castle in Ireland: spokesman
-
What's behind the UAE's decision to cut Iran trade ties?
-
Belgium's fire of the century now 'under control'
-
Barca seal Cancelo return to bolster defence
-
Evergrande's Xu Jiayin: from real-estate tycoon to life in prison
-
Germany reports record 14,000 heat-related deaths this summer
-
Spurs eyeing move for Man City's Savinho and Marmoush - reports
-
Alvarez 'focused' says new Atletico team-mate Romero
-
Springboks captain Kolisi to miss first All Blacks Test
-
West Ham warn fans about 'offensive' Solomon chant
-
Japan to launch probe for Mars moons in October: space agency
-
Huge questions loom over Prince Harry's shock return to UK
-
From beach to Bulls: relaxed Tsunoda savours rare F1 drive
-
BYDFi Joins Coinfest Asia 2026, Connecting with Institutions, Builders and Traders in Bali
-
Prince Harry: key dates in life of returning UK royal
-
Max Verstappen: Natural-born winner
-
North Korea launches missiles, Seoul says, after Trump floats Kim meet
-
Van Dijk urges Liverpool to make amends for 'unacceptable' season
-
Oil jumps on Iran war tensions, offsetting bond yield fears
Berlin film festival chief to remain in job after Gaza row
The head of Berlin's international film festival will stay in the post despite controversy over a film director's anti-Israel remarks at the event, the German culture minister's office said Wednesday.
Tricia Tuttle had been under fire from some politicians after the comments by Syrian-Palestinian filmmaker Abdallah Al-Khatib, with some media reporting that culture minister Wolfram Weimer had sought to oust her from the job.
But after a meeting of the board of the state-owned KBB -- the company that runs the Berlinale -- on Wednesday, Weimer's office said in a statement that it welcomed Tuttle's willingness to "continue her work".
Angry rows over the Israel-Palestinian conflict have repeatedly rocked the Berlinale, held every February as Europe's first major film festival of the year.
This year, Khatib's comments at the closing ceremony accusing Germany of being complicit in "genocide" in Gaza provoked outrage from some German politicians.
Tuttle also faced criticism for posing for a photo with some of the team behind Khatib's film, "Chronicles from the Siege".
But Weimer on Wednesday said Tuttle had "put a great deal of energy into setting a new course" at the festival, which she has led for the past two years.
"I thank her for her willingness to continue on this path," he said.
"I welcome today's decision by the supervisory board to reaffirm its confidence in my leadership of the Berlinale," Tuttle said in a statement.
Weimer added that the board of the KBB had laid out recommendations `for "strengthening" the festival, including a new code of conduct.
"The board has issued a number of recommendations, which we will carefully consider," Tuttle said.
Controversy surrounded this year's Berlinale almost from the beginning, after the jury president, acclaimed German director Wim Wenders, responded to a question about Gaza by saying cinema should "stay out of politics".
Heated debate about Wenders' comments followed, with award-winning Indian writer Arundhati Roy withdrawing from the festival and denouncing his remarks.
Tuttle received support from thousands of filmmakers after German tabloid Bild reported that Weimer was trying to remove her from the job.
V.Said--SF-PST